Clutch - very hard pull

• muddytailgate
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Jul 2014 05:09 #640907 by muddytailgate
Clutch - very hard pull was created by muddytailgate
1976 KZ750

My clutch has always been really hard to pull and there isn't much travel. Last time I had the left side cover off, cable inside housing seems really free/ not binding/ etc. I am thinking I need to replace clutch discs.

1. General thoughts on hard pulling clutch/ very little clutch travel.
2. Experiences replacing clutch on one of these.

Thank you.

1976 KZ 750b

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2014 05:47 #640913 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Clutch - very hard pull
I don’t know of any way that the clutch plates could cause the problem. I would start by adjusting the clutch using the instructions in the Kawasaki Service Manual. If that doesn’t alleviate the problem I would ensure the clutch cable operates freely when not connected at the lower end, and I would clean and lubricate the clutch release mechanism (see diagram below) and ensure that it operates freely. Other than that, is it possible that a previous owner installed non-stock clutch springs? Ed

Attachment 00005_2014-07-22.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

More
22 Jul 2014 06:38 #640918 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic Clutch - very hard pull
I would do exatly what Ed says but in reverse order. Clean that release real good and lube it with something that doesnt collect dirt. Then adjust correctly.
Wayne

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover

More
22 Jul 2014 12:57 #640964 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Clutch - very hard pull

650ed wrote: I don’t know of any way that the clutch plates could cause the problem. I would start by adjusting the clutch using the instructions in the Kawasaki Service Manual. If that doesn’t alleviate the problem I would ensure the clutch cable operates freely when not connected at the lower end, and I would clean and lubricate the clutch release mechanism (see diagram below) and ensure that it operates freely. Other than that, is it possible that a previous owner installed non-stock clutch springs? Ed

Attachment 00005_2014-07-22.jpg not found

I had the same problem on my 750 twin (B4) when it was new. The assembly shown in the picture above went bad pretty quickly. It was set up wrong. There is a "lever" that the cable runs into that has to be set to get most leverage. Hard to explain, but once I got it fixed it was easy to pull.

I would try cleaning and greasing the throw out assembly if a basic adjustment is no help. The picture shows the "tube" piece that has helix shaped grooves that the ball bearings run in. On mine, those grooves were worn.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• muddytailgate
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Aug 2014 05:10 #642561 by muddytailgate
Replied by muddytailgate on topic Clutch - very hard pull
Thank you. I adjusted clutch and it is way better.

1976 KZ 750b