Crankcase assembly questions

More
17 Jul 2014 21:08 #640455 by jumpship
Crankcase assembly questions was created by jumpship
Hey guys u probably know me as the guy who punched a hole through his crankcases, well anyways anyways I got a new set of cases now my question is after I got the mating surfaces clean and bonded up, when I put upper case back onto the lower, should it literally fall I to place? Or will I need some persuasion with a rubber mallet to get them cases to squeeze together? And also the factory manual says to torque the crankshaft bolts initially to 132 lbs inch, and than re torque them all to 216 lbs of force!!!:eek: is that even serious??? I re-read it over and over and I find that seriously hard to believe that's possible without snapping on then 8 mm bolts..... or is this the way kawis are? Suzuki crankshaft bolts are done @ 12 lbs inch

1981 KZ750-4

Rode GS's all this time and once i hoped on a KZ... well... hence the name!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2014 21:36 #640456 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Crankcase assembly questions
Theyre talking about the big bolts around crankshaft area :)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
17 Jul 2014 23:14 #640459 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic Crankcase assembly questions
For goodness sake make sure you have your units correct.....it's not lbs inch, nor is it lbs of force!!!! it's inch/pounds and 12 inch/pounds is equal to 1 foot/pound. The manual specifies that those 8mm bolts holding the crank to the upper case half as well as the crank cap should be tightened first to 11 foot/pounds (or 132 inch/pounds) then to 16.5 to 19.5 foot/pounds (or 198 to 234 inch/pounds) Heck yes you would strip your brand new cases apart if you applied 234 lbs. of force!!!! :ohmy:

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

More
18 Jul 2014 05:13 - 18 Jul 2014 05:31 #640471 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Crankcase assembly questions

jumpship wrote: ...... And also the factory manual says to torque the crankshaft bolts initially to 132 lbs inch, and than re torque them all to 216 lbs of force!!!:eek: is that even serious???

This makes no sense; exactly what manual are you reading this from? "216 lbs of force" is not a torque spec at all since it doesn't indicate INCH pounds; FOOT pounds; or any other torque unit.

Also - what are "crankshaft bolts"? I don't believe there is such a thing. Are you talking about connecting rod nuts? If so, you REALLY need to get someone to send you the specs from the Kawasaki Service Manual. 216 is wrong whether it was meant to say FOOT pound or INCH pounds - so do yourself a big favor and take a look at the specs in the real manual.

jumpship wrote: Suzuki crankshaft bolts are done @ 12 lbs inch

This makes no sense at all. 12 lbs inch is not even finger tight. That is WAY too light for anything at all on a motorcycle. Ed

I suggest you take a very careful look at all the torque specs before reaching for the wrench and make darn sure you understand the difference between FOOT pounds and INCH pounds, and get someone to post the specs from a KZ750 Kawasaki Service Manual. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 18 Jul 2014 05:31 by 650ed.

More
18 Jul 2014 08:54 #640491 by jumpship
Replied by jumpship on topic Crankcase assembly questions
Oh son of a gun there are a ton of typos I'm sorry I'm using my smart phone it just auto, corrected while I was typing

1981 KZ750-4

More
18 Jul 2014 08:59 #640492 by jumpship
I'm gonna correct the post when i get home and see the manual,. I have the factory manual

1981 KZ750-4

More
18 Jul 2014 09:00 #640494 by jumpship

650ed wrote:

jumpship wrote: ...... And also the factory manual says to torque the crankshaft bolts initially to 132 lbs inch, and than re torque them all to 216 lbs of force!!!:eek: is that even serious???

This makes no sense; exactly what manual are you reading this from? "216 lbs of force" is not a torque spec at all since it doesn't indicate INCH pounds; FOOT pounds; or any other torque unit.

Also - what are "crankshaft bolts"? I don't believe there is such a thing. Are you talking about connecting rod nuts? If so, you REALLY need to get someone to send you the specs from the Kawasaki Service Manual. 216 is wrong whether it was meant to say FOOT pound or INCH pounds - so do yourself a big favor and take a look at the specs in the real manual.

This makes no sense at all. 12 lbs inch is not even finger tight. That is WAY too light for anything at all on a motorcycle. Ed

I suggest you take a very careful look at all the torque specs before reaching for the wrench and make darn sure you understand the difference between FOOT pounds and INCH pounds, and get someone to post the specs from a KZ750 Kawasaki Service Manual. Ed

I see ur a good mistake corrector, i did ask a good question in plain English that u didn't answer, does the crankcase fall right into place or does it usually require some rubber mallet

1981 KZ750-4

The following user(s) said Thank You: ezrider714

More
18 Jul 2014 09:16 - 18 Jul 2014 09:19 #640495 by PLUMMEN

650ed wrote:

Im referring to the 8mm bolts that hold the area around the crankshaft together that ape sells stud kits for.

:)And yes,its definitely inch lbs of torque.

Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Jul 2014 09:19 by PLUMMEN.

More
18 Jul 2014 09:47 #640497 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Crankcase assembly questions

jumpship wrote: i did ask a good question in plain English that u didn't answer, does the crankcase fall right into place or does it usually require some rubber mallet

If done correctly there should be no mallet or other force needed and everything should easily "fall" in to place.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

More
18 Jul 2014 14:45 #640521 by jumpship
awesome ur guys are the best, and plummen yes those are the bolts i was talking about as well, the bolts that go over the crankshaft, aka crankshaft bolts. i guess they people call em different things

1981 KZ750-4

More
18 Jul 2014 15:07 #640523 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Crankcase assembly questions

jumpship wrote: awesome ur guys are the best, and plummen yes those are the bolts i was talking about as well, the bolts that go over the crankshaft, aka crankshaft bolts. i guess they people call em different things

Those are main bearing studs (case studs). Bolts have threads only on one end; stud are threaded on both ends. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
18 Jul 2014 16:09 #640533 by PLUMMEN
I didnt have a picture handy of a set of cases with with the bolts, thats why I used the ape picture instead.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed