Piston sleeve came loose!

• Lordzacharious
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Jul 2014 19:00 #640316 by Lordzacharious
Piston sleeve came loose! was created by Lordzacharious
I have a set of 1015 jugs and unfortunately it had a bit of a spill that knocked one of the sleeves out about half an inch or so. I was able to knock it down with some hard whacks of a rubber malet.

I didnt noticed this until I was taking it the machine shop to get it bored to 1075 and they seemed pretty comcerned about it and were of the impression this shouldnt happen at room temperature.

Can anyone advise on this?

Also, since I am going 1075 with stock cams and head, will the 10.25:1 compression pistons from wiseco be a good fit? Or will I need lower?

(2) 78 KZ1000A
76 KZ900
2018 900rs Cafe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2014 19:04 #640318 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Piston sleeve came loose!
As long as it doesn't rock around inside the cylinder youll be ok,you can have the machine shop heat up the cylinder and make sure the sleeves are all seated if it makes you feel better. :)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• Lordzacharious
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Jul 2014 19:44 #640323 by Lordzacharious
Replied by Lordzacharious on topic Piston sleeve came loose!
That's what I was thinking. The shop was making out sound like they might have to resleeve it or pin out somehow but that made no sense ttop me.

The same shop was saying 10.25:1 would be too high off a compression and that I should get Wiseco' s 9:1 1075 kit. I haven't looked too hard but I haven't seen such a kit.

(2) 78 KZ1000A
76 KZ900
2018 900rs Cafe

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
16 Jul 2014 20:06 #640329 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Piston sleeve came loose!

Lordzacharious wrote: I have a set of 1015 jugs and unfortunately it had a bit of a spill that knocked one of the sleeves out about half an inch or so. I was able to knock it down with some hard whacks of a rubber malet.

I didnt noticed this until I was taking it the machine shop to get it bored to 1075 and they seemed pretty comcerned about it and were of the impression this shouldnt happen at room temperature.

Can anyone advise on this?

Also, since I am going 1075 with stock cams and head, will the 10.25:1 compression pistons from wiseco be a good fit? Or will I need lower?

Gas these days is crap. With stock cams you'll be getting a lot of cylinder pressure. Personally I went with the lower comp piston kit, and still had to knock back the advance to keep from detonation with the crap 91 rated fuels. Then if you ride out in the boonies like I do, a lot of the time they don't even have stale Premium, just regular maybe 87. Very hard to get good fuel anywhere at a Pump, unless its at an airfield. You can still get 100 low lead.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
16 Jul 2014 21:11 #640330 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Piston sleeve came loose!
I can't remember who did it, but a member here walked out of a machine shop carrying his fresh 1075 block, and one of the sleeves fell out and hit the ground.

I know that feeling well :blush:

KD9JUR

• Lordzacharious
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Jul 2014 21:20 #640331 by Lordzacharious

steell wrote: I can't remember who did it, but a member here walked out of a machine shop carrying his fresh 1075 block, and one of the sleeves fell out and hit the ground.

Oh wow that is unfortunate!! Must have been terrible to have that excitement ruined so quickly.

I am curious to know what keeps the sleeves from falling down since they seem to be able to move. As in, how doea it stay in place in the motor?

(2) 78 KZ1000A
76 KZ900
2018 900rs Cafe

• Lordzacharious
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Jul 2014 21:22 #640332 by Lordzacharious
So it is basically recommende that I stay around 9:1 if I stick with stock cams and want to run pump?

Would I be able to do the 10.25:1 compression and higher lift cams and still stick with pump gas?

(2) 78 KZ1000A
76 KZ900
2018 900rs Cafe

More
17 Jul 2014 05:00 #640350 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Piston sleeve came loose!

Lordzacharious wrote:

steell wrote: I can't remember who did it, but a member here walked out of a machine shop carrying his fresh 1075 block, and one of the sleeves fell out and hit the ground.

Oh wow that is unfortunate!! Must have been terrible to have that excitement ruined so quickly.

I am curious to know what keeps the sleeves from falling down since they seem to be able to move. As in, how doea it stay in place in the motor?

The sleeves can't move once the head is on as the top flange is sandwiched between the head and block.
Loose sleeves are common and as long as they aren't so loose they just slide out when cold then all will be ok.
If they are very loose they can be bonded in and any reputable engine shop will know this.
Use the same glue that is used to seal water cooled cast liners in alloy car blocks.
As for the comp ratio I'm using 10.25 Wiseco's in all my engines and they run fine with no detonation with regular unleaded pump piss.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

More
17 Jul 2014 05:44 - 17 Jul 2014 05:46 #640356 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Piston sleeve came loose!
With loose sleeves it's advisable to media blast the block bores to put some texture back into it before you install the sleeve. That will tighten it back up. Generally there is a .004" crush on the sleeve.

Ideally the sleeve should touch the aluminum to properly shed heat on an air cooled engine. Glue insulates to some extent.

Larry C.
Last edit: 17 Jul 2014 05:46 by LarryC.