setting valve clearance

More
16 Jul 2014 16:01 #640288 by wolfey
setting valve clearance was created by wolfey
I just got my head back from the machine shop had valve job, head surface shaved to clean it up. my question is do I just put the cams in on the old shims and go from there or is there a easy way to get the right shims the first time. this is my first shim type engine and im lost

building something is better then just buying someone elses blood sweat and tears

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2014 19:26 #640322 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic setting valve clearance
You're in for a little trial and error. Generally on a valve job, you'll need to drop 3 or 4 sizes or so on what shim was in previously, so for example if you had a 260 shim in a particular spot, you would put a 240 or 245 in there then check clearance. It's not cut and dry, so it's going to take considerable trial and error and swapping shims around. Hope for a good valve job, where minimal was cut, sometimes botched jobs can take valves down below adjustable figures meaning a 200 shim is still to large.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

More
17 Jul 2014 11:39 #640402 by wolfey
Replied by wolfey on topic setting valve clearance
well ive used this shop for a lot of engines and there really good. had them check valve height and set to the book so hoping its a quick setup

building something is better then just buying someone elses blood sweat and tears

More
17 Jul 2014 11:58 #640405 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic setting valve clearance
What kind of bike is it? :)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
17 Jul 2014 14:20 #640418 by peter1958
Replied by peter1958 on topic setting valve clearance
A good shop would have a valve height gauge to put you in the middle racetoolz.com/

More
19 Jul 2014 07:22 #640586 by wolfey
Replied by wolfey on topic setting valve clearance
1980 kz 1000 ltd is where the motor come from had to switch to another frame because the old one was twisted so its a 1977 now

More
19 Jul 2014 08:24 #640589 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic setting valve clearance
Well at least they should be shimmed on top of buckets,unless somebody changed them.
Its not a big deal to check/change those once the head is installed,you should recheck them once the head is torqued down on the motor anyways. :)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.