New Exhaust Headers - Ruined

• PaulyWally
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Total Bike Newbie
More
15 Jul 2014 14:47 #640158 by PaulyWally
New Exhaust Headers - Ruined was created by PaulyWally
I bought a MAC 2 into 1 exhaust system (headers and muffler). I know MAC isn't great stuff, but it's within the amount of money I was willing to spend for an exhaust. The headers are black instead of chrome.

Within 60 seconds (no exaggeration) of starting the bike up, the paint on one of the headers began bubbling. It began right at the exhaust collar and slowly started working its way down the pipe. After it cooled down, the paint has a "cracked" look to it.

The other exhaust pipe didn't seem to be affected. However, there is a slight leak at the collar. I don't know if that has something to do with it.

Also, the carburetor is a fresh rebuild. I guess it's possible it could be running lean/rich. I'm not sure yet since I just put it back on. But I wouldn't think this is a lean/rich issue since it happened so quickly.

Anyway... any thoughts on whether this is my bike? Or just a faulty paint job on the headers by MAC?

1976 KZ750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2014 15:10 #640164 by 60ratrod
Replied by 60ratrod on topic New Exhaust Headers - Ruined
paint on painted headers, unless its a ceramic coating, will always burn off within minutes after they start getting hot and takes about 20 minutes to stop smoking. i'm not a bike expert by any means, but i've dealt with enough headers on chevys to know. and the painted 4-1 header on my kz1000m1 did the same thing.

Active Duty US Navy Aviation Ordnanceman Petty Officer First Class

81 kz1000m1 csr "Sarge"

81 Suzuki gs650g "Shelah"

More
15 Jul 2014 15:27 #640167 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic New Exhaust Headers - Ruined
I spent about 25 years dealing with painted headers and I know this: the paint has to be cured before you fire the engine up or it will bubble off. I hang the pipes up in the garage and use a 1500 Watt heat gun I got at Harbor Freight for $10 to gradually heat the whole pipe set up heating both the outside and inside. Do it gradually, cook the hell out of it and let it cure overnight and you should be good. The maker should cure the pipes but I suspect the time and expense of doing it means some get skipped. Sounds like yours did.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
15 Jul 2014 15:30 #640168 by bountyhunter

PaulyWally wrote: IAlso, the carburetor is a fresh rebuild. I guess it's possible it could be running lean/rich.

If it's a 750 twin it was jetted lean at the factory. I recommend upping the pilot jets to 50 (it will run better and not be so lean).

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
15 Jul 2014 15:34 #640169 by undiablo
Replied by undiablo on topic New Exhaust Headers - Ruined
If the AFR was really lean... it is possible to see the headers glowing cherry red. It happened to me once in a KLR650.

Kawasaki KZ 750/4 LTD 1981
Kawasaki KLR 650 2011
Argentina - Buenos Aires

• PaulyWally
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Total Bike Newbie
More
15 Jul 2014 17:14 #640180 by PaulyWally
Replied by PaulyWally on topic New Exhaust Headers - Ruined
Hmmm... good info. Thanks all.

So now that some of the paint has bubbled/cracked, what are my options at this point? Should I just try and cure the rest of the pipes and "deal with it"?

1976 KZ750 Twin

More
15 Jul 2014 19:50 #640196 by undiablo
Replied by undiablo on topic New Exhaust Headers - Ruined
Rust Oleum has a very good high temp spray can that goes up to 2000°f

Kawasaki KZ 750/4 LTD 1981
Kawasaki KLR 650 2011
Argentina - Buenos Aires

More
15 Jul 2014 20:54 #640207 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic New Exhaust Headers - Ruined
I would contact MAC first and see what they say then make a decision. If they won't replace them there is a couple of options. Coat the INSIDE with Eastwood Hi-Temp Internal Exhaust Coating and wrap the headers. Don't wrap the headers without coating them on the inside and out. If you do you will destroy the headers from the inside out.
Or just coat them on the outside with Eastwood Hi-Temp Coating . Hope this helps. If it were me I would coat the inside and the outside.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
15 Jul 2014 21:45 #640215 by Kapahulu
Replied by Kapahulu on topic New Exhaust Headers - Ruined
I don't know what MAC KZ750 twin headers look like, but why not just take them off, sand down and put new high temp paint on them? If properly cured the paint will last. You can cure the paint on the bike by letting the pipes warm up a little bit, wait for them to cool, run the motor a little longer, etc. Do this several times then take it out for a short ride. Tedious but it does the job.

I have several 2-stroke bikes with painted expansion chambers and that's how I paint and cure the pipes.

There are many good paints out there. I like to use KBS Coatings www.kbs-coatings.com/
they're not expensive and the products work well.

1978 KZ1000, 1976 KZ900, 1975 H2, 1973 H1, 1973 H2, 1978 RD400, 1977 RD400, 1974 RD350
2strokeworld.com

More
16 Jul 2014 00:09 #640224 by 60ratrod
Replied by 60ratrod on topic New Exhaust Headers - Ruined
The high temp header paint I use on my gun parts (nothing internal) cures at 300°f. So I would have a hand held thermal thermometer and wait till the header reaches that and do the method kapahulu suggested since I don't think a header will fit in your oven

Active Duty US Navy Aviation Ordnanceman Petty Officer First Class

81 kz1000m1 csr "Sarge"

81 Suzuki gs650g "Shelah"

More
16 Jul 2014 22:42 - 16 Jul 2014 22:46 #640339 by bountyhunter

60ratrod wrote: The high temp header paint I use on my gun parts (nothing internal) cures at 300°f. So I would have a hand held thermal thermometer and wait till the header reaches that and do the method kapahulu suggested since I don't think a header will fit in your oven

That's why I always hang them up and shoot them with a heat gun. In my experience, if you try to "use cure" them by running the engine a little and then shutting off over and over they don't cure well because the heat is being applied only on the inside. Better results if you heat the outside and inside and gradually bring the temp of the piece up. In the 25 years I ran painted headers, the coating lasted a few years then had to be redone. If you don't cure them well, they can bubble or flake off but the paint also gets very soft and rubs off.

EDIT TO ADD: considering how many hours I wasted sanding, painting and curing those pipes over the years..... the smart money would have been to get powder coating but it didn't exist 20 years ago.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 16 Jul 2014 22:46 by bountyhunter.

More
16 Jul 2014 22:44 #640340 by bountyhunter

Kapahulu wrote: I have several 2-stroke bikes with painted expansion chambers and that's how I paint and cure the pipes.

Unfortunately, the four strokes seem to run a whole lot hotter.

1979 KZ-750 Twin