Exhaust smoke

More
13 Jul 2014 04:47 #639892 by Dog green
Exhaust smoke was created by Dog green
Hello I'm new to this forum my name is Rick I just bought a 1985 GPZ 750 A3 with 9000 miles don't know much about the history , it hadn't been run in over a year first thing cleaned gas tank cleaned carbs noticed pilot jet screws were all the way in also spark wires one and two were reversed , any way hard starting finally after a while starts and runs pretty good but getting puffs of smoke from left side notice some oil residue on no 2 plug fires the motor and no smoke the next day it smokes again maybe piston ring of valve seal bad plugs any help would be greatly appreciated the bike is in great condition worth saving thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2014 06:09 #639895 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Exhaust smoke
If it only smokes when you first start it and then doesn't smoke again until after it sits for an extended period it may just be the valve seals need to be replaced. You can do a compression test to verify rings are ok, and it that test does show low compression (and if the valve clearances are not tight) then run a leak-down test to find the source of the compression leak. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
13 Jul 2014 06:14 #639896 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Exhaust smoke
Do you park it on the side stand or the center stand?

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.