Starter Clutch AGAIN

More
12 Jul 2014 07:17 - 12 Jul 2014 18:32 #639811 by LovinMyKZ
Starter Clutch AGAIN was created by LovinMyKZ
I have a 1982 KZ1100 A2 with 16000 miles. I replaced the rollers, springs, and caps in my starter clutch 2 months ago. Worked fine til about a week ago, now sounds like it did before, box of rocks when you try to start it! Can anyone tell me the likely cause of this and what to replace to solve it? I don't want to have to rebuild clutch every other month! lol Thanks for the help

1982 KZ1100 A2 (shafty)
Last edit: 12 Jul 2014 18:32 by LovinMyKZ.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2014 19:55 #642695 by Schwarzer Tod
Replied by Schwarzer Tod on topic Starter Clutch AGAIN
When you replaced yours did you use a longer or stiffer spring? I replaced my rock crusher with springs that were stiffer and a bigger outside diameter. The spring I put in don't set inside the pusher it sits on the rim of the pusher. My housing for the springs at the base was deformed from the old busted springs. I took and made little plugs that goes under the spring to prevent further damage. I used the original rollers . I have not had no problems since and I have cranked the motor probably a 1000 time since. I'll upload some pics in a few weeks to show you what I did

More
05 Aug 2014 12:49 #642754 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Starter Clutch AGAIN

LovinMyKZ wrote: I have a 1982 KZ1100 A2 with 16000 miles. I replaced the rollers, springs, and caps in my starter clutch 2 months ago. Worked fine til about a week ago, now sounds like it did before, box of rocks when you try to start it! Can anyone tell me the likely cause of this and what to replace to solve it? I don't want to have to rebuild clutch every other month! lol Thanks for the help

Had same issues a few years ago, and determined to replace the whole starter clutch with a new one, since the roller-ways were worn. No more problem.

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
05 Aug 2014 15:33 #642782 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Starter Clutch AGAIN
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationIf you didn't replace the starter gear that may the be problem. They develop ridges where the rollers engage them and that creates problems. The image below compares a used starter gear to a new one. If yours needs to be replaced the good news is that according to Kawasaki.com they are still an "Active" part (see diagram below), so any dealer can order it. However, it might be cheaper to find a new one on eBay (see example below). Ed

Attachment 00003_2014-08-05.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments: