ZR750 Cylinderhed on KZ750E2

More
07 Jul 2014 07:47 #639110 by DustDevil
ZR750 Cylinderhed on KZ750E2 was created by DustDevil
Hello Together,
since this is my first post here I want to introduce myself first.
My name is Udo and I'm currently in the middle of the restoration of my loved KZ750E. I own that bike since 17 years now, but during the last years I rode mainly other bikes and the KZ750 was "parked" in my garage for at least 7 years.
During her time in my hands the KZ already got some new parts like pistons, camshaft drive chain, valves,... but now I will build it up completely new as a kind of a cafe racer.
Now my problem:
The bearings of the camshaft of the original cylinder head don't look very well.
I still have a head of a Zephyr ZR750 in the shelve and thinking about mounting it...
Comparing the schematic drawings of the KZ750E2 head with the ZR750 head, I found out that the cylinder, pistons, camshaft, camshaft drive chain, chain guides, vales and the cylinder head gasket have exactly the same part numbers.
Only the head itself has a different part number and looks a bit different (ZR750 is more angled).

Since the engine is basically the same from KZ650 to the GPZ750 I assume that the ZR750 head will fit…
Has anybody experience with that constellation and knows if I still can use my Ceihin CV34 carbs from the KZ750E2?

Thanks in advance!
Udo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2014 11:01 #639130 by azman857
Replied by azman857 on topic ZR750 Cylinderhed on KZ750E2
As long as the cylinder spacing is the same, compression ratio isn't too high and the valves don't kiss the pistons, I'd say go for it.

I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress

More
08 Jul 2014 02:41 #639230 by DustDevil
Replied by DustDevil on topic ZR750 Cylinderhed on KZ750E2
Hi!
The spacing shouldn't be a problem, since the cylinder of both engines is exactly the same (same part number).
Unfortunately I have no possibility to measure the compression, but I just compared the part numbers of the connection rods and the crank shaft. It's also identically for both engines! Taking this into consideration I would assume that also the compression should not differ too much.
Has someone a clue about if the combustion volume of both heads is the same?

p.s.: Yesterday I started to assemble my old lady again : )

Attachment 20140706.jpg not found

Attachments: