Strange frame/engine number KZ1000

More
02 Jul 2014 18:44 #638747 by RobK
Replied by RobK on topic Strange frame/engine number KZ1000
And the engine number. As I mentioned, frame no. is identical. That in itself is odd, unless mama Kaw started matching engine and frame with the J. My first kz from the 80s.

My mule's got the funny idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're gonna...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2014 19:07 #638753 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Strange frame/engine number KZ1000
I'm not surprised there is no title. The VIN and engine numbers have been filed off and re-stamped. The area around VIN on the frame looks very disturbed and you can still see the file marks in that photo of the engine number. Compare your engine number photo (2nd image below) to that in the 1st image below; notice the texture of the field around the engine number and the raised border. I know its a different model, but yours should be similar. Stolen bike maybe? Ed

[IMG

Attachment 00005_2014-07-02.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
02 Jul 2014 19:17 #638756 by RobK
That would make sense, and as you point out, the area looks filed. I'll look at the frame again, too. Maybe some evidence there of tampering.

Came back clean on the VIN check, though...

Results for VIN: iih002915
VINCheckSM Theft Record
iih002915 has not been identified as a vehicle listed in the VINCheckSM Theft Records.

My mule's got the funny idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're gonna...

More
02 Jul 2014 19:21 #638757 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Strange frame/engine number KZ1000

RobK wrote: Swingarm repositioning

Ive seen that done more than once on here,and every time Ive seen it I just had to ask myself why?????????????????????????????????? :sick: :woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

More
02 Jul 2014 19:25 #638758 by PLUMMEN

RobK wrote: Mono shock conversion. Check out the peeling swingarm gusset.

Some people are just not meant to play with tools!
Theres a lot of leverage on the front of that mount to peel that gusset like that,I just cant believe that bird $hit welding held up better than the factory welds! :sick: :unsure: :ohmy: :huh: :dry: :blink: :blush: :S :whistle: :whistle: :pinch: :pinch: :woohoo:

More
02 Jul 2014 19:31 #638760 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Strange frame/engine number KZ1000

RobK wrote: That would make sense, and as you point out, the area looks filed. I'll look at the frame again, too. Maybe some evidence there of tampering.

Came back clean on the VIN check, though...

Results for VIN: iih002915
VINCheckSM Theft Record
iih002915 has not been identified as a vehicle listed in the VINCheckSM Theft Records.

No surprise there. If the bike was stolen the legitimate owner would have reported the real VIN as the bike stolen not a VIN that the thief invented. Sounds like there's a huge loophole in the theft records search process. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
02 Jul 2014 20:02 #638768 by RobK
Yeah, I can't see an improvement in shifting the swing arm back. Longer wheelbase, true, but you're changing the dynamics of the bike by shifting the fulcrum. Would think it would actually make the machine less responsive, but if someone knows better, I stand ready to be corrected.

More
02 Jul 2014 20:08 #638771 by RobK
Yeah, the "builder" shoulda seen that coming. Those factory welds are fine to take the little bit of shear that they were spec'ed for, but but to take the massively leveraged forces introduced with the mono bracket, especially because the steel for the gusset is relatively thin? No way. I reckon if the welds hadn't gave out, the metal itself would have started to deform and even tear. 500lb bike plus rider, and a direct link to the mass of the bike with no pivot? Fuggedabodit.

More
02 Jul 2014 20:13 #638774 by RobK
You may well be right. Can't think of another logical explanation. Damn, I hate thieves. I checked the headstock, and I could pick up the faintest ridge next to the number if I fan my finger over it. Not really sure what else to do on checking the background on this machine. State of Colorado doesn't allow anyone but law enforcement to check previous owners, and the number I have probably isn't going to get me very far, even if the records exist. Last 3 machines I ran a BG check through the state (they'll tell you if it was registered, just not to whom), came back "no record" even though two had old expired Colorado tags. Don't think they keep records that long.

More
02 Jul 2014 20:26 #638779 by PLUMMEN

RobK wrote: Yeah, I can't see an improvement in shifting the swing arm back. Longer wheelbase, true, but you're changing the dynamics of the bike by shifting the fulcrum. Would think it would actually make the machine less responsive, but if someone knows better, I stand ready to be corrected.

Id be really worried about the rigidity of those brackets from side to side,in the stock location theres a lot of tubes tied together at that point not to mention the engine cases tying things together.

More
03 Jul 2014 06:44 #638796 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Strange frame/engine number KZ1000
Sadly the bikes heritage is very suspect...

There is zero legitimate reason to change engine numbers. The only times I've seen frame numbers LEGALLY changed is where bikes were stolen/recovered or written off/rebuilt. In these cases some individual states require a new vehicle VIN. I bought a bike like that a few years ago - there was a new VIN on a plate attached to the frame stating it was a rebuild bike.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN