exhaust and inlet valve sizes ?

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
21 Jun 2014 14:16 #637414 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic exhaust and inlet valve sizes ?
Depending on if you spent a lot of time hitting them on a valve grinder you could have also sunk the valves quite a bit which can require having valve tipped to gain back some valve shim range. ;)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2014 16:29 #637434 by crackfox
Replied by crackfox on topic exhaust and inlet valve sizes ?
Hello Patton, so what would you do ? Buy seats and valves or try to find a complete replacement head ? Thank you .simon.

More
22 Jun 2014 03:28 #637483 by crackfox
Replied by crackfox on topic exhaust and inlet valve sizes ?
Hello all, I've been reading up on the differences between mk2 and earlier head's. I've come to the conclusion that the replacement head I bought is probably from an earlier model as it has bronze guides. I've just read that the cams may also be different on earlier engines ? I used the cams and valves from my mk2 head.

• Sayonara
  • User
  • The faster the better
More
07 Dec 2020 05:27 #839504 by Sayonara
Replied by Sayonara on topic exhaust and inlet valve sizes ?
I grew up doing engines without fancy tools and learning from god mechanics, I used to get valve grinder compound that use to come fine and thick, nowadays I can only find water based and comes in one way only and to get the fine grit I have to blend it, a bit of pain in the but but works, now when I grind valves I put the head o the floor and put gas in the bowl if it leak you will notice the if is intake or exhaust or both valves and the you have to go back and lap it more, I don't fit a head unless it pass this test and never had issues with it,
lately since I am building more HP engines I get the head done by pros. but even if it leaks a bit when you do a compression test id there is not more than 10% difference you should be ok I been told.
I test with gas the head even before I disassemble it to find offenders that will need more work.

I grew up riding and fixing all sort of small bike until I inherited A 1977 GS 750 when I was 16, that changed my life completely I love metric bike and I own a few fully working and have some projects.