Derale oil cooler pics KZ650

• Proxy
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
18 Jun 2014 04:07 #637040 by Proxy
Replied by Proxy on topic Derale oil cooler pics KZ650
I'll find that old article. But I don'"t believe anything is missing. My uncle ran this for years as it is. I think it creates flow by increasing pressure at ONE orifice. If it reduced pressure at one side it would be a siphoning system. Not sure of what the flow rate would be. I have an engine out with the oil cover off I will try and get a pic of it today. Maybe that will explain more. Or confuse more!
Isn't the oil filter area an "oil gallery"? Now I'm certainly confused. Oil under pressure being delivered to other components of an engine. There just happens to be a filter there.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Proxy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Jun 2014 08:08 - 18 Jun 2014 08:22 #637055 by Proxy
I drew this maybe it will help... (no artist).
Since the plate has the two locating tabs I believe it is critical to have the gate pointing at the oil cup exit, thus creating a pressure increase and channeling all oil through the gate and into the engine at this point and some into the cooler circuit. I could be wrong but I do not think any cooler moves all the oil from the oil pump through it. My old 900 had a low pressure system and had dedicated ports if you wanted to put a cooler on it. This is a different animal.

Last edit: 18 Jun 2014 08:22 by Proxy.

More
18 Jun 2014 16:35 #637113 by ezrider714
Replied by ezrider714 on topic Derale oil cooler pics KZ650
Not sure :unsure: But I don't think your drawing truly represents what happens in the filter area..
And if it does, there is still nothing that prevents oil from going out the blue line labelled as cool oil.from radiator,
just cause the red line port is closer to the oil out to engine(is there really just 1 hole) does not guarantee that it will only flow out that port. I believe the oil pressure is being put into the complete cylindrical area covered by the plate. This is why I question having the cooler return in the same area that the oil supply is being pulled from.

Not clear on how the part you call a gate would provide a increase in pressure :blink:

This is one area where I haven't worked much on the bikes I maintain, and I just want to get a better understanding of the workings involved... :)

78 KZ650SR Mine since 79
4-1 Mac Jet Hot coated since mid 80's
Dyna Coils
Saddlebags (I ain't skeered of going nowhere) :)

• Proxy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Jun 2014 07:14 #637159 by Proxy
Same here, I'm just postulating. I believe there is not equal oil pressure on the plate as the exit provides a pressure drop. Kind of like if you hold a piece of paper and blow over the top the paper lifts because of pressure. The pressure on the plate would be equal if there was no relief. The gate merely provides insurance that all the oil has to go through it to exit to the engine. It looks to me that there is only that hole and that would indeed provide a pressure change in the area or if it may act as a siphon and draw the oil through the radiator. Although I kinda doubt it. I have not done much on Fluid Dynamics or Cooling Systems either and am only having an interesting conservation on a subject that now interests me. Surely there are others who know more on this subject and may clear things up for this old fool (me).

More
19 Jun 2014 15:22 #637210 by ezrider714
Replied by ezrider714 on topic Derale oil cooler pics KZ650
I was also hoping someone wiser in the way of engine internals would speak to this issue....
I keep getting hung up on thinking about a similar issue I had on a hydraulic unit at work where the return was way too close to the supply...And when we ran stock cars the supply and return to the oil cooler were nowhere near each other....

78 KZ650SR Mine since 79
4-1 Mac Jet Hot coated since mid 80's
Dyna Coils
Saddlebags (I ain't skeered of going nowhere) :)

More
19 Jun 2014 19:08 - 19 Jun 2014 20:04 #637229 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Derale oil cooler pics KZ650

ezrider714 wrote: Looked up your thread from a week ago...... I see another member has this setup on their bike so I guess it works??(although we only see the outside) It just seems like something is missing.... :blink:

As the other member with the Derale oil cooler I dont know if I can contribute much if anything to the discussion. I must admit I never tried to figure out how the system works. From Proxy's pictures I am pretty sure the internals on mine are the same and I dont believe anything is missing. I am sort of curious now and next time I change the oil - which should be in November when I put it away for Winter - I'll try to take a closer look. I I always assumed it worked whether by pressure or convection and with Derale being a reasonably familiar name in engine cooling I have no reason to think that it doesn't work.

Having said all that, for me though the cooler is not a big deal. It was on the bike when I bought it and given that we dont get really bad heat here in southern Ontario or I dont ride in stop and go traffic I doubt I actually need one. I have thought of removing it but then it does have a certain "coolness" to it and might be selling point if I ever decide to get rid of the bike :)

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 19 Jun 2014 20:04 by JR.