Misfiring

More
13 Jun 2014 16:06 #636520 by bm78kz750
Misfiring was created by bm78kz750
I recently purchased a kz750. This is my first bike so i do not know much about it. I am confused as to what year it is because the head tube reads 08/77 but it is titled as a 79. Anyways, when i bought the bike the previous owner said it wouldn't idle. I got the carbs rebuilt, as the previous owner suggested and everything was running fine until I took a 50 mile trip. On this trip my bike started running on one cylinder as i was getting into 4th and 5th gear. Now that it is back i can't get it to run on both cylinders other than in 1st and 2nd gear. Has anyone encountered similar problems or does anyone have any advice on what to check?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2014 18:13 - 13 Jun 2014 18:16 #636533 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Misfiring
I assume it's a 750 twin? If it truly is running on one cylinder, it's likely carb problem. Has the fuel system been cleaned? You have to clean the tank/petcock and install good inline filters or sediment will run down and clog te carb's jets which will make the engine suddenly run like crap.... guess how I learned that.

You should check valve clearance and compression. If it has the original coil, that's the first part I would replace. You can get one from Z1 for $36.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 13 Jun 2014 18:16 by bountyhunter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.