dies on low idle

More
12 Jun 2014 10:37 - 12 Jun 2014 10:44 #636321 by Mark Stark
dies on low idle was created by Mark Stark
hey guys. so i rode to work today and everytime i got to a stop light for a while the bike would die. it get s to about 1000 rpms and dies. it runs fine on high rpms (took it on the freeway). please help me out guys its really bugging me.

1979 Kawasaki KZ650
Stark Industries
Last edit: 12 Jun 2014 10:44 by Mark Stark.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2014 10:44 #636323 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic dies on low idle
It could be caused by a number of different things, but I would start with the most likely. When was the last time a full tune-up (points, plugs, carb sync, etc.) was done? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
12 Jun 2014 10:51 #636324 by Mark Stark
Replied by Mark Stark on topic dies on low idle
hey ed! i checked the spark plug gap last night and that was fine. i also checked all the fuel lines to make sure none of them were pinched and they were fine also. could it be an idle screw adjustment?

1979 Kawasaki KZ650
Stark Industries

More
12 Jun 2014 10:56 #636325 by Mark Stark
and as for the tune i have no clue.

1979 Kawasaki KZ650
Stark Industries

More
12 Jun 2014 11:08 #636327 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic dies on low idle
I would start by performing a full tune-up; I would not start by turning screws on the carbs or messing with other adjustments. The problem could be something as simple as the points needing replacement (this is normal maintenance) the advancer needing to be lubed, etc. I would not expect a KZ650 to run well if normal periodic maintenance was not performed, because it won't If you don't know the bike's history or when maintenance was last performed, I would start by performing ALL (not just engine) the maintenance items in the Kawasaki Service Manual. That will let you establish a baseline from which to determine when all future maintenance needs to be performed, sort of like if you had just bought a new bike. Trying to fix a problem without first ensuring all the normal stuff is in good shape so you can properly diagnose the problem is just shooting in the dark and is likely to cause more problems rather than fixing one. Once all the normal maintenance stuff is done the problem may disappear, but even if it doesn't, diagnosing it will be a much easier task. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
12 Jun 2014 12:51 #636339 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic dies on low idle
Would also make sure the battery is good. Does it crank the starter well?

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
12 Jun 2014 14:09 #636350 by Mark Stark
thanks ed! and bountyhunter yes it does. just took the battery off the charger and it was full charged.

1979 Kawasaki KZ650
Stark Industries

More
12 Jun 2014 21:32 #636414 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic dies on low idle

Mark Stark wrote: hey guys. so i rode to work today and everytime i got to a stop light for a while the bike would die. it get s to about 1000 rpms and dies. it runs fine on high rpms (took it on the freeway). please help me out guys its really bugging me.

Other thing to check is the timing advancer working OK?

1979 KZ-750 Twin