Clutch not working correctly...

More
10 Jun 2014 14:42 #636072 by Spencer440
Clutch not working correctly... was created by Spencer440
Okay guys... Help me out here.. I have a 1980 KZ440-B and I cleaned the starter out today and it works well now and starts up just fine... But now I can't get the clutch cable to work... It doesn't have any recoil at all... I have followed these instructions and still no luck,.,. kz400.com/KZ440MaintainanceFrameset.html

1980 KZ440-B
1979 Kawasaki KZ650-C3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2014 15:34 #636080 by jakedude
Replied by jakedude on topic Clutch not working correctly...
I attached a picture of the clutch release lever which is under the front sprocket cover. Letter A is pointing to a hole, perhaps better described as a socket, into which a rod fits when you put the front sprocket cover back into place. The cable attaching to the lever arm shown is your clutch cable. Pulling on your handle bar clutch lever will pull the cable attached to the lever arm shown in the picture. This will rotate the round gizmo centered on the A-hole. When this happens the round gizmo will become erect relative to the sprocket cover body. When the round gizmo becomes erect it will push on the rod which fits in the hole A-hole. When this rod is pushed by the erection your clutch will disengage.

The adjustment you are making with the screw on the opposite side of the front sprocket cover simply takes up the slack between the rod and the A-hole making sure your round gizmo erection disengages the clutch.

So what can go wrong with this? First your rod might miss the A-hole. Make sure your rod is in the A-hole.
Second, your clutch cable tension may be getting in the way. Loosen up all adjusters on the cable before you adjust the screw on the front side to the front sprocket cover. When you adjust that screw you simply want be eliminating the mechanical stack up between the rod and the A-hole. My KZ1000 has an cable tension adjustment as part of the cable and one that is part of the handle bar clutch lever mechanism. So now that your rod is in the A-hole and your are done screwing for maximum erection, you can take up the slack in your cable.

Now it's time for a smoke.

If you are still having clutch trouble you may need to take the round gizmo apart and lubricate it to eliminate your erectile disfunction.

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.
Attachments:

More
10 Jun 2014 17:38 #636088 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Clutch not working correctly...

Is the steel ball balling?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
More
11 Jun 2014 06:46 #636121 by Grumpy Ole Artist
Replied by Grumpy Ole Artist on topic Clutch not working correctly...
Having just read this...I feel so DIRTY! LOL!

1978 KZ650 B2
Former rides...1976 CB360T, 1985 Shadow 700, 1985 GPZ750Turbo