KZ1000A2 petcock/fuel tap

More
02 Jun 2014 19:51 #635087 by djaekley
KZ1000A2 petcock/fuel tap was created by djaekley
Tried to carefully clean and rebuild my petcock, as I ran out of money for parts long ago. Everything looked fine to reuse, except the petcock-to-tank o-ring, of course. I carefully cleaned everything. When I was cleaning the part of the housing with the vacuum port, a little cleaner got on the little rubber nub coming through the middle and immediately dissolved it. I was able to remove the little metal cover from the outside, but there was nothing left of the rubber what-ever-it-was (little diaphragm or valve?) but sticky black residue. Of course, it is not a replaceable part, and the assembly (51036-1001 -- fuel tap cover assembly) is not available anywhere. I immagine if I look long enough, I will find an entire assembly on eBay or elswhere that may or may not be usable. My question (finally) is, has anyone else had this particular problem, and, more importantly, found a solution that worked? If so, what what it and how do you do it? Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2014 18:21 #635230 by Bonestock

More
03 Jun 2014 19:13 #635247 by djaekley
Replied by djaekley on topic KZ1000A2 petcock/fuel tap
No. I have searched extensively. The only one I found was a used one on ebay that apparently had the same problem mine has and would have been of no use to me. It showed a picture with the small metal cap removed and nothing inside. I was hoping some untapped genius out there might have a 'fix' that worked for him, maybe a small disk of rubber cut from an old inner tube or something. I am kind of at a loss, as I don't really have a clue exactly what was in there to start with, or exactly what function it performed. It looks to me like it might have been put there to provide a buffering effect against the action of the vacuum/spring-operated diaphragm. Would the tap operate with nothing in that little chamber? I don't know.

More
03 Jun 2014 20:53 #635262 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ1000A2 petcock/fuel tap

djaekley wrote: . . . the assembly (51036-1001 -- fuel tap cover assembly) is not available anywhere. . . .

www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/kawasaki/KP-51036-1001.html

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
03 Jun 2014 21:50 #635275 by djaekley
Already contacted them Tuesday; they do not have them :(

More
03 Jun 2014 22:00 #635276 by djaekley
I have located what looks to me to be a very close reproduction at Diablo Cycle, the only notable differences being that there is only 1 fuel nipple instead of 2 (reduced fuel flow might be a problem for some, but I'm not racing anybody), and the vacuum nipple comes off the side, instead of the back. They sell for $82.00. I cannot afford one right now (probably not for a couple of months) so pleeeease do not buy them all out before I get to buy one ;) If, by chance, I am the first on this forum to purchase and install one, I will document any problems I note with fuel flow, leakage, etc., if any.

More
03 Jun 2014 22:24 - 03 Jun 2014 22:26 #635279 by Patton
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

djaekley wrote: ... nothing left of the rubber what-ever-it-was (little diaphragm or valve?) but sticky black residue. Of course, it is not a replaceable part....

If it's the fuel tap gasket that melted, several are listed on ebay $12~$13). Search 11009-1044 .

Here's one example:

And kawasaki.com shows limited availability through Kawasaki dealers (perhaps more expensive).

11009-1044 Description: GASKET,FUEL TAP
Package Quantity: 1
Item Status Code: Active limited quantity

Perhaps also need to replace the rubber diaphragm, and maybe the o'ring.

Lots of good info on kawasaki.com, including parts diagrams, part names, part numbers, models sharing same part, availability, etc. Here's a link for help with navigating the site and finding information.

www.kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/37...imitstart=0&start=20

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 03 Jun 2014 22:26 by Patton.

More
03 Jun 2014 22:29 #635280 by Patton
Z1E lists the following petcock repair kit:

www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...f1000&item=KL18-2703

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
04 Jun 2014 00:33 #635292 by djaekley
Just spent a lot of time writing reply and uploading a couple of pics, and the site logged me off.
Anyway....
Take a look at these pics to see what I am talking about. They show the square vacuum portion facing the camera. See the small circle directly in the center? Small shiny cover in the first photo, vertical row of three small holes in the second photo after the cover has been removed.

Attachment Picture2.jpg not found

Attachment Picture3.jpg not found

After looking further online, I now believe the petcock I found at Diablo Cycle may be OEM for a slightly later model, possibly early 80's? At any rate, I think it will be a passable alternative until I can find the correct part (or a fix for the petcock I have) down the line.
Attachments:

More
04 Jun 2014 07:15 #635315 by Patton

djaekley wrote: Just spent a lot of time writing reply and uploading a couple of pics, and the site logged me off....

Especially with longer, more complex messages to be posted on in the forum, may want to first compose the message in a separate word processing program, and then copy the completed message and paste it into the forum's outgoing message box, and add whatever images as may be desired into the message box.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD