cant go very fast

More
27 May 2014 17:31 #634211 by Janz3n
cant go very fast was created by Janz3n
Some of you may have helped me in previous threads and I now have another question.

Recently found out that the inline fuel filter that was on my bike from the previous owner was backwards and starving the engine, removed it and now the bike starts every time, idles great, and no longer dies after a long ride.

My problem now is i cant seem to accelerate very well on the highway. when im going about 90km/h ( 55mph) in 6th gear i'm at about 6000rpm and that's about as fast as i can get it. I'm new to bikes but this seems pretty slow to me but i could be wrong. Also on the highway i noticed that if i give it too much gas the engine will bog down a bit.

now my air filter at the moment appears to be a piece of foam glued in to the air box. i know this is not ideal but im trying to source out a new box and filter. the exhaust is stock so im not sure if this piece of foam may be giving the engine too much air as ive read that these engines are pretty picky and you cant usually use anything other than the stock air box and filter.

Also wondering about a possible timing issue? contact points?

fyi, bike is a 81 kz305 ltd.

81 kz305 ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2014 18:10 #634214 by azman857
Replied by azman857 on topic cant go very fast
Any changes made to intake and exhaust will probably result in carb re- jetting . Solve the filter problem and then tackle the any re-jetting if needed.

I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

More
27 May 2014 18:12 #634215 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic cant go very fast
Have you tried a tune up?

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
27 May 2014 18:33 #634220 by Janz3n
Replied by Janz3n on topic cant go very fast
Plugs are new. What else would be part of a tune up?

81 kz305 ltd

More
27 May 2014 18:56 #634225 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic cant go very fast

Janz3n wrote: Plugs are new. What else would be part of a tune up?

If you have a Kawasaki Service Manual take a look in it. It not only contains the maintenance schedule; it also describes how to perform all the maintenance. If you don't have one I HIGHLY recommend you get one. It is pretty near impossible to properly maintain a KZ from a safety and performance perspective without the manual. In the mean time, below is the 1981 KZ305 Periodic Maintenance Chart from the manual. You should assume the previous owner did zero maintenance, and you should perform ALL the maintenance items, not just the tune-up stuff, so you can set a baseline from which to measure the maintenance intervals. Ed

Attachment 00005_2014-05-27.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

More
08 Jun 2014 09:02 #635773 by Janz3n
well had some time to take things apart and im trying to track down a new air filter to replace the piece of foam. pulled the plugs and they look white which would explain why my exhaust pops on decel and the lack of power to get faster than 90km/h.

first, bought some new handlebars and grips so now im sourcing out all new controls ei. brake master, levers, headlight turn signal controls and throttle. also going to shorten all the cables and get stainless brake line.
[IMG

anyways, on to the real problem. removed the carbs and disassembled them. I was going to check the float levels before i did this but i figured if im going to clean the carbs and fix them i might as well do that first. first thing i noticed was the diaphragms were full of holes and dirty. then i removed the float bowls and noticed a ton of dirt inside of these as well. so im happy to find that the diaphragms have holes because this would explain why i cant go fast, have a lean burn and why my exhaust pops on decel. another thing i noticed was after a long ride when i go to rev match around 4-5rpm it would bog along with some bogging a mid throttle.

[IMG

[IMG

so now im off to find some parts.

81 kz305 ltd

More
27 Jun 2014 19:02 #638190 by Janz3n
Well $230 and 3 weeks of waiting I finally got my diaphragms and installed them. Bike is like new.

81 kz305 ltd

More
27 Jun 2014 20:54 #638213 by Beaner242
Replied by Beaner242 on topic cant go very fast
Good deal. I know it sucks waiting on parts, but now that your set, you can get out and enjoy it.

1982 KZ1000K LTD Chopper

More
28 Jun 2014 03:38 #638241 by Janz3n
the wait was one thing, the price for diaphragms was another.

81 kz305 ltd

More
28 Jun 2014 05:48 #638244 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic cant go very fast
You could think of it as a really good performance boost for $230! I can't imagine any aftermarket part that could offer that kind of bang for your Buck.

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.