Stock Exhaust or Aftermarket Header?

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
21 May 2014 20:31 #633381 by kzdcw
77' KZ1000A right side muffler damaged ( probably crashed on right side ). If I choose to restore to stock, are there other years of mufflers from the KZ1000 line-up that will fit? Also toying with the idea of a header. Vance and Hines or Kerker? Pros and Cons of both if anyone has had any experience with these. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

77' KZ1000A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2014 21:40 #633387 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Stock Exhaust or Aftermarket Header?
I kind of wish mine had the original pipes, but they do die as a result of being crashed. A good original pipe is really pricey if you can find it.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
22 May 2014 05:18 #633414 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Stock Exhaust or Aftermarket Header?
According to Kawasaki.com the 1977 KZ1000-A1 uses the same right side muffler as the 1978 KZ1000-A2 and 1978 KZ1000-A2A. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
22 May 2014 07:36 #633425 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic Stock Exhaust or Aftermarket Header?
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

kzdcw wrote: Also toying with the idea of a header. Vance and Hines or Kerker? Pros and Cons of both if anyone has had any experience with these. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Many folks have had great success with the motogpwerks pipe, including myself. Head and shoulders better than V/H or Kerker for similar money.

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
22 May 2014 23:02 #633589 by kzdcw
Replied by kzdcw on topic Stock Exhaust or Aftermarket Header?
Looks too new school with it's small muffler design. What about filter and drain plug clearance?

77' KZ1000A

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
23 May 2014 07:36 - 23 May 2014 07:37 #633630 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic Stock Exhaust or Aftermarket Header?

kzdcw wrote: Looks too new school with it's small muffler design. What about filter and drain plug clearance?

I can't speak to clearance on KZ. I have a race version on a GS and it's all spring mounted so it's a snap to drop the pipe for oil changes ;)

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD
Last edit: 23 May 2014 07:37 by slayer61.

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
23 May 2014 18:43 #633710 by kzdcw
Replied by kzdcw on topic Stock Exhaust or Aftermarket Header?
Since finding a stock exhaust replacement is probably as scares as hens teeth, maybe I should point my attention to a header. I'm sure plenty of you guys are using either the Vance and Hines or the Kerker. But like to hear pro and cons on these? ANYONE like to take a stab at it ???

77' KZ1000A

More
23 May 2014 23:26 #633733 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Stock Exhaust or Aftermarket Header?
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

slayer61 wrote:

kzdcw wrote: Also toying with the idea of a header. Vance and Hines or Kerker? Pros and Cons of both if anyone has had any experience with these. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Many folks have had great success with the motogpwerks pipe, including myself. Head and shoulders better than V/H or Kerker for similar money.

That's what I bought can't beat the craftsmanship for the money very well built. Can't wait for my bike to be put back together so I can hear it. I know the You Tube videos do not do it justice.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
23 May 2014 23:37 #633734 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Stock Exhaust or Aftermarket Header?

kzdcw wrote: Looks too new school with it's small muffler design. What about filter and drain plug clearance?

He also makes one with a bigger can. Oil filter is not an issue as mentioned before, it's spring loaded and come right off. I used to have a Kerker sidewinder, I was never able to change the oil without getting some on it. If I had to pull the header off I always had to replace the exhaust gaskets and "f" around with the exhaust collars and keepers. With the Motogpwerks that is not an issue. The inverted cone on the Kerker was always coming loose. I got on the throttle heavy one day and blasted it off never found it. I custom made a cone and made my own baffle to get the sound I wanted, sounded nice and preformed well but I would never pay $700 for a new one. I found mine on eBay for $150 or something close to that. The Motogpwerks is 200 times the craftsmanship. That's my .02

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project