Shift pedal only goes down to 1st & up to neutral

• thechurchmouse
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 May 2014 14:59 #632990 by thechurchmouse
I had taken the shift pedal off to get at the starter on my 84' KZ750 l4, now after I put it back on and got all my other issues figured out it's only shifting down to 1st and up to neutral, for one test run i took it did shift up to the higher gears, but then it didn't.... 1st all the way home was a slow go.... Any thoughts? I did something for sure... just can't find specs or help with shift pedal settings/troubleshooting anywhere.

1984 KZ 750 L4. Aka- "Jolene Dirtay"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2014 01:24 #633046 by fastidiots
Replied by fastidiots on topic Shift pedal only goes down to 1st & up to neutral
first check to make sure that your shift linkage is not hitting anything...like the exhaust. It is very common to have very little leeway in your linkage alignment on the shift rod and if you have it one spline too far then its will hit something--usually the exhaust--which will allow full movement in one direction but only half movement in the other which would cause you to only be able to hit neutral.

82 KZ1000 J
76 KZ750 B1

• thechurchmouse
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 May 2014 02:56 #633049 by thechurchmouse
Replied by thechurchmouse on topic Shift pedal only goes down to 1st & up to neutral
Thank you, I will check that for sure I have fiddled with different spline settings or placements, I'm thinking I did something with the clutch now though... raining out today, and gotta work...

I'll post how I make out, thanks!!

• thechurchmouse
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 May 2014 02:57 #634008 by thechurchmouse
Replied by thechurchmouse on topic Shift pedal only goes down to 1st & up to neutral
Problem Solved!

I believe it was all dirt and grit, I did have to soak the clutch cable twice and then spend a half hour with penetrating spray working the cable to get the dirt out, and to have it move freely, I also cleaned the actuator, and put some fresh grease on her, Clutch is now returning nicely.

It really sucked after I cleaned it the first time when I went for a test drive, and it the clutch lever stuck on me, that was a nice 1 hour on the side of the road to temporarily fix it with the limited tools I could bring with me...

I also ordered a new clutch cable just to have.