KZ750 CSR Valve guide oil seal failure update

• bpchura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750 CSR
More
19 May 2014 12:52 #632970 by bpchura
Replied by bpchura on topic KZ750 CSR Valve guide oil seal failure update
Beautiful thank you. I saw the same diagram in the manual and was confused because the pins I have in there now do not have the oring orrifice. I believe that should solve the problem....

Thanks again, bountyhunter. You are a gentleman/woman and a scholar.

The first motorcycle race began when the second motorcycle was built. - Anonymous

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bpchura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750 CSR
More
20 May 2014 18:48 #633183 by bpchura
Got any suggestions how to remove them from the block? I tried rigging up a harmonic puller but it bent the plate! Its really in there. I may just replace the o rings on the top. Do you think that would be a problem?

The first motorcycle race began when the second motorcycle was built. - Anonymous

More
20 May 2014 18:55 #633184 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic KZ750 CSR Valve guide oil seal failure update
I would wait for a second opinion but you might be able to heat up the block a bit then use canned air upside down on just the pin so the block would be expanded and the pin would shrink making it easier to remove,. You may want to try the Kroil and let it soak for a few days first.

Good luck and glad to here that you may have a solution.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
20 May 2014 20:14 #633205 by steell

kaw-a-holic wrote: I would wait for a second opinion but you might be able to heat up the block a bit then use canned air upside down on just the pin so the block would be expanded and the pin would shrink making it easier to remove,. You may want to try the Kroil and let it soak for a few days first.

Good luck and glad to here that you may have a solution.

I thought I was the only one that used the canned air upside down trick :)

KD9JUR

• bpchura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750 CSR
More
20 May 2014 20:17 #633207 by bpchura
Il for sure give that a try. Do you think that it would be an issue to leave it in? I really really pulled on that thing and it didnt budge. Could that be a sign that oil couldnt leak out of there anyways?

More
20 May 2014 21:09 #633211 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic KZ750 CSR Valve guide oil seal failure update

bpchura wrote: Got any suggestions how to remove them from the block? I tried rigging up a harmonic puller but it bent the plate! Its really in there. I may just replace the o rings on the top. Do you think that would be a problem?

My first valve job I gave up and couldn't get them out the top. I just replaced the O rings on the top ends. When I did the full rebuild I had the cylinder off and drove them out from underneath.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
20 May 2014 21:12 #633212 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic KZ750 CSR Valve guide oil seal failure update

bpchura wrote: Il for sure give that a try. Do you think that it would be an issue to leave it in? I really really pulled on that thing and it didnt budge. Could that be a sign that oil couldnt leak out of there anyways?

Not for sure. I think the O ring gets forced into the cylinder face and over time, the heating welds the rubber in place. On mine, I could get the tubes to turn but not move up or down pulling on the top ends.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• bpchura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750 CSR
More
21 May 2014 05:12 #633227 by bpchura
Alright well Im going to replace to top ones and hope the bottom seal themselves up. Im not too worried about it. That should have it thanks again!

More
21 May 2014 13:04 #633326 by steell

bpchura wrote: Alright well Im going to replace to top ones and hope the bottom seal themselves up. Im not too worried about it. That should have it thanks again!

Post here and let us know if that fixes the problem (I don't think it will, but I've been wrong once or twice).

KD9JUR