Oil Leaking from behind timing advancer.

More
12 May 2014 08:58 #632180 by Keeter
Hello All,

Got my 83 KZ550F running smooth after buying in rougher shape. Took the bike for a short drive yesterday and after parking the bike and returning I found some oil dripping out from under the timing advance cover on the RHS. I took the cover off, and found a small amount of oil behind the cap. cleaned it up, ran the bike and there was a little more showed up. I haven't pulled the advancer yet, but does anyone know if there is a small seal behind there? can it be easily replaced, or is this a journal type bearing where there will be no solution but a new steel case?

Thanks for any guidance.

1983 KZ550F Spectre Shaft Drive
w/ TK-26 CV Carbs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2014 12:07 #632188 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Oil Leaking from behind timing advancer.
There is an oil seal on the right hand side of the crankshaft (see diagram below). I am not positive, but I believe it has a ridge running around it which makes it difficult if not impossible to replace without splitting the crankcase. Hopefully I am wrong about that and someone on this site will correct me. According to Kawasaki.com the part is still "Active" so any dealer can order it. Partzilla.com lists it at $5.48. Ed

www.partzilla.com/search/?q=92050-081&x=6&y=6

Attachment 00005_2014-05-12.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keeter

More
12 May 2014 12:39 #632189 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Oil Leaking from behind timing advancer.
On my 750 twin, I replaced the clutch and didn't change the seal when I put the right side engine case back on and the old seal started leaking oil into the timing advancer.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
12 May 2014 17:38 #632218 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic Oil Leaking from behind timing advancer.
I am not as familiar with the 550s and I am the 650s. But I think there is an oil pressure switch behind the points plate. At least IIRC some of the 550 models/years have one. As an aside some have an oil level sensor.

Anyway if your bike does have the pressure switch behind the points plate check it, as it could be the cause of the leak.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

The following user(s) said Thank You: Keeter