New User and KZ440 Clutch Stuck questions

More
11 May 2014 11:09 #632116 by painthappy
New User and KZ440 Clutch Stuck questions was created by painthappy
So I picked up a KZ440 a couple years ago as a winter project. I was never in a rush as I had another bike.

I'm back onto finish my KZ project bike finally (1975 vintage), and I think I'm back to square one.

Please excuse the noobness as I'm new to working on old bikes or bikes in general. It's always been easier for me to just pay someone to do it. While I could just do that again, this time I'm determined to do it myself.

So into the issue:

The bike seems to be stuck in neutral.

Took apart both side plates of the engine, removed the chain to the rear tire, etc. I purchased new clutch plates and installed them. The lever engages the push rod, the plates move, all work well.

I put the foot shifter lever back on and when I go to shift it into gear, nothing. I just goes up or down, but no clicking into gear.

So my question is... Is it just stuck between gears (stuck somehow due to sitting)? How could I go about diagnosing this and then subsequently fixing this without removing and taking the engine apart further?

Or is she just destined to be pushed into my steel dumpster?

Thanks in advance!

Current Project: 1975 KZ400 Cafe Build

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2014 12:27 #632118 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic New User and KZ440 Clutch Stuck questions
The KZs won't shift unless the bike is rolling. Try rolling the back tire and then pushing the gear changer if you haven't already been doing that

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

More
11 May 2014 12:28 #632119 by painthappy
Replied by painthappy on topic New User and KZ440 Clutch Stuck questions
Let me hook her back up. Might be my issue. I have the chain off the rear tire. Let me give that a go.

More
11 May 2014 12:59 #632121 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic New User and KZ440 Clutch Stuck questions
One very easy way to tell if the clutch is disengaging when you pull in the clutch lever is to try the following. Pull in the clutch lever then kick down sharply several times on the kick starter. If the kick starter meets resistance and turns over the engine with the lever pulled in, the clutch is sticking. If there is very little resistance when doing this and the kick start does not turn over the engine the clutch is freeing up and not sticking when the level is pulled in. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
11 May 2014 14:29 #632124 by painthappy
Replied by painthappy on topic New User and KZ440 Clutch Stuck questions
Well, solved it!

It's was.... none of the above.

The foot shift was moving up and down but nothing was happening. Behind the clutch the gear shift lever moves up and down to shift into and out of gears. Looking at it through the oil filler cap (since it's behind the clutch) we could see if freely moving out in the open. Not where it should be.

Took off the clutch and there was the culprit.... a tiny spring that was no longer attached to the lever to pull it back.

Just over time it had come loose and probably fallen off after one good kick.

Re-attached the little spring, clamped it down, put back on the clutch and tried the shifter. Was able to shift in and out of gears no problem now.

Time to put it back together and see if I can't get it running in the next few weeks!