Exhaust flames

More
05 May 2014 16:07 #631440 by Schmeck
Exhaust flames was created by Schmeck
My exhaust shoots fire . As cool as this is how do I fix it . I always was told exhaust flames were from running too rich and gas getting past the valves and catching fire . I have about a foot of header and no air filters right now . Will be getting pods . I would assume I would be running lean given the exhaust and carbs.

1979 kz750 twin -Soon to be roadworthy
1988 El250 engine in custom hard tail frame - collecting dust

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2014 17:32 #631452 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Exhaust flames
I hope not like this:

Attachment Bobber_2014-05-05.jpg not found

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
05 May 2014 17:46 #631457 by Schmeck
Replied by Schmeck on topic Exhaust flames
Haha that's awesome ! :laugh:
It's more of a crackling / flames shooting when I hit the throttle . It's cool but it can't be good for the motor .
If I had a flame thrower exhaust I wouldn't care :laugh:

More
05 May 2014 20:17 #631471 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Exhaust flames
It seems backwards, but I know for a fact that loud popping on decal (closing the throttle) is caused by a LEAN condition. I used to turn the fuel petcock off when I turned into the end of my street and I would hear the engine popping by the time I got to my house so it was from low fuel level/lean run.

Can't swear about flames shooting out, never had that problem. Would check valve clearance. Also fuel levels in carbs using clear tube.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
09 May 2014 16:40 #631965 by Schmeck
Replied by Schmeck on topic Exhaust flames
Okay so this might sound crazy but I made some baffle inserts and welded them in my pipes to tone it down a bit and maybe give alittle back pressure. I also had all the original jets that I kept for whatever reason . I took my starter jet and drilled it with a 1/16th drill bit ( crazy big I know) and plugged them in . Started right up and will idle at 1 1/2 rpm with no air filter. I have uni filters on the way but I'm impatient. Now I am a headlight and tailight away from putting a plate on it for the summer : D . If anyone wants to help me with hooking my taillight up that'd be great as I am stumped. I'm using an old tractor light that has a dual light bulb . One red wire and one black wire ( for ground). I'm trying to hook it up as a running light and a brake light . Anyone know how to do that with only one power wire ?

More
11 May 2014 21:50 #632152 by Twist1
Replied by Twist1 on topic Exhaust flames
Hello schmek-about your tail light-maybe the light grounds by mounting on the metal fender and one wire is the low side and the other the brake light-good luck.

Bikes I own,76 KZ 750 Twin-79KZ750 Twin (6700 actual miles)-83 KZ 750 K1 belt drive chopper