Kz400 - need help

More
04 May 2014 18:08 - 05 May 2014 08:32 #631330 by FlyTheCoop
Kz400 - need help was created by FlyTheCoop
Hi all, need help getting my 1974 KZ400 started. Picked it up for $150 near Poughkeepsie.

[IMG

(have a tank, its in real nice condition)

-cleaned out the carbs and jets, the carbs and passageways have been picked through and cleaned vigorously, so it can't be any issue related to them.
-right now i'm really thinking it has something to do with the kick lever, it feels like its engaging but, it really just seems to easy, I'm not sure if its just because I'm comparing it too my CL360 which seems a lot tougher to kickck down, but not sure. The clutch adjustment is all the way tightened to the locknut, i tried tightening the clutch but it actually just made the kick lever not engage anything.
-the kick lever does kick back
-brand new spark plugs
-bike has compression
-batteries good
-carbs have crappy emgo pods on for now, stock air box was shot

any ideas? and thanks in advance
Last edit: 05 May 2014 08:32 by FlyTheCoop.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2014 18:27 #631333 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Kz400 - need help
Welcome aboard. Did you check the condition of the points? Do you have good spark at the plugs? The airbox is necessary, despite its being "shot", unless you rejet the carbs. But trying to do that with a non-runner is going to be particularly difficult. If it was my bike I would put the air box back on along with a new filter and make sure the carb jetting was stock at least until I got the bike running. Otherwise you are fighting a carb jetting issue along with who knows how many unknown issues. (points, coil, valve gap, etc.) In other words, try to eliminate as many variables as possible, get the bike running well to establish a solid baseline, then decide if any mods you make improve or degrade performance. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
05 May 2014 08:01 #631375 by Bonestock
Replied by Bonestock on topic Kz400 - need help
Do you have spark to the plug? Holding the plug tip against a metal engine part should show a decent spark when kicked over.

Do you have fuel to the cylinders? 10 kicks with the key off should 'wet' the plug a bit.

Choke functioning?

Old Skool ~