How do I remove the front sprocket???

More
04 May 2014 11:30 - 04 May 2014 11:39 #631298 by kawiman636
How do I remove the front sprocket??? was created by kawiman636
I realize this is probably a stupid question for you experienced people but I am very new to this. Can anyone tell me the steps to remove the front sprocket?

I have a Clymer manual for 73-81 but this is a 1982 so there seem to be some differences in some area. In the section for removing the drive sprocket is says "At the end of the output shaft, use a cold chisel and a hammer to bend the tab of the washer behind the sprocket nut away from the nut. Use a hammer and a drift to flatten the tab against the output sprocket." Loosen the drive sprocket nut."

Attachment frontsprocket.jpg not found

Are the tabs I have arrows pointing to in the picture the tabs I need to bend as mentioned in the manual? It only mentions one tab and I see what looks to be four and I want to be sure before I start trying to bend things.

Currently riding:2006 Kawasaki 636
Current project: 1980 Kawasaki KZ1000
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 May 2014 11:39 by kawiman636.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2014 11:45 #631301 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic How do I remove the front sprocket???
When the tabs are bent against the nut you cannot put the correct size socket on it because they are in the way. So, if you can fit the socket on it you should be able to remove the nut. However, the sprocket nuts are usually VERY tight and hard to remove, so you need a way to hold the sprocket from moving. The link below shows a way that works extremely well, and since your drive chain obviously needs to be replaced making the tool should not present any problem for you. Ed

www.kzrider.com/forum/21-tools/325119-bu...rocket-holder#325119

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: kawiman636

More
04 May 2014 13:24 #631305 by kawiman636
Replied by kawiman636 on topic How do I remove the front sprocket???

650ed wrote: When the tabs are bent against the nut you cannot put the correct size socket on it because they are in the way. So, if you can fit the socket on it you should be able to remove the nut. However, the sprocket nuts are usually VERY tight and hard to remove, so you need a way to hold the sprocket from moving. The link below shows a way that works extremely well, and since your drive chain obviously needs to be replaced making the tool should not present any problem for you. Ed

www.kzrider.com/forum/21-tools/325119-bu...rocket-holder#325119

Thank you very much for the info! Ill have to give this a shot when I get a little free time :)
That tool is genious! Theres no limit to what a creative mind can come up with

Currently riding:2006 Kawasaki 636
Current project: 1980 Kawasaki KZ1000