stator replacement

More
03 May 2014 14:35 #631215 by flexvatos
stator replacement was created by flexvatos
Hey guys been a while I have a 83 kz750twin belt I had the carbs cleaned and tune up new battery was riding great for 2 days till I stopped at a 7 11 the it wouldn't start again I noticed the headlights were dimmed almost off the battery was dead took to mechanic he checked it and told me stator was bad my question is can I do this my self and how or should I have the mechanic do it I have a stator I got from eBay any advice will help :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2014 15:06 #631216 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic stator replacement
Here's where I would start. I would buy the Kawasaki Service Manual. Be sure to get one for your exact year/model (KZ750-K1 ?) as there are differences. I would then read up on the charging system. The manual will show how to test the various components of the charging system. I perform these diagnostics just to make SURE the stator is the problem rather than the regulator/rectifier or something else. Once I was absolutely certain which component needed to be replaced, I would read the replacement procedure in the manual to see if I felt comfortable performing the task.

I see you already bought a stator based on the mechanic's diagnosis, and that may very well be the part that has failed. However, I would still run the tests in the manual first to be positive (they should not be difficult) so I didn't replace a part that was working fine and still need to replace another part. It is not outside the realm of possibilities that you don't need to replace any parts at all, because the problem could even be a bad wire or faulty connection. The diagnostic tests in the manual should help you pinpoint the problem. Once you do, and assuming it's the stator, you can see what's involved in replacing it and make an informed decision as to whether or not you have the skills to do it. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
03 May 2014 15:32 #631219 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic stator replacement
Also, if you could remove the stator cover and take a picture of the (post if, of course) it is pretty easy to see if a stator has failed at that level. Cooked stators tend to turn black. And of course, do everything ed has suggested as well.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

More
03 May 2014 16:13 #631223 by flexvatos
Replied by flexvatos on topic stator replacement
Will do the mechanic tested the wires going from the stator to the rectifier and he showed me that the stators were grounded out something about 3 posts so I went by that

More
03 May 2014 16:37 - 03 May 2014 16:44 #631226 by jeffasaki
Replied by jeffasaki on topic stator replacement
the most common problem is with the 3 wires comming out of the alternater
the ones that run up right in front of the output shaft
they always ground out in this area
i highly doubt you need a new stator never take your bike back to this guy until you know for yourself
reading a book is required to run a old bike
good luck
ps its usually the black wire that faults to ground
ive done this repair over and over again i love it
""it dont run and hasnt for years its your for 500 bucks if ya want it""
10 minutes later im going by at 130 mph on a bike with 12000 miles on it

78 Z1R
78 KZ1000
76 KH500 gone
71 HS1B 90
81 GS 1100 gone
80 PE400
02 KLR

Ontario Canada
Last edit: 03 May 2014 16:44 by jeffasaki. Reason: add

More
04 May 2014 00:54 #631256 by steell
Replied by steell on topic stator replacement
The 83 750 twin only has two wires from the alternator.

If you lean the bike against something on the right side, you can do the following without draining the oil.

Remove left side foot peg.
Remove gear shifter.
Remove sprocket cover,
Remove generator/alternator cover.
Stator is bolted to the inside of the generator/alternator cover.

The first thing I'd do is measure the resistance between the two wires going to the alternator, and then measure the resistance between each wire and ground. If you have 2-3 ohms resistance between the two wires, and infinite resistance between each of the two wires and ground, the stator is good.

KD9JUR

More
04 May 2014 04:28 #631266 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic stator replacement

steell wrote: The 83 750 twin only has two wires from the alternator.

If you lean the bike against something on the right side, you can do the following without draining the oil.

Remove left side foot peg.
Remove gear shifter.
Remove sprocket cover,
Remove generator/alternator cover.
Stator is bolted to the inside of the generator/alternator cover.

The first thing I'd do is measure the resistance between the two wires going to the alternator, and then measure the resistance between each wire and ground. If you have 2-3 ohms resistance between the two wires, and infinite resistance between each of the two wires and ground, the stator is good.

Would it be feasible to do the ohm tests without removing the cover, assuming that either the bullet connectors or the 3P connector isn't hidden underneath the cover? :unsure:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
04 May 2014 07:33 #631273 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic stator replacement
Yes, check under the cover first. It may just be broken wires, and not a bad stator. You may be able to splice them if there is enough there to work with.