no power

More
03 May 2014 10:56 #631202 by Janz3n
no power was created by Janz3n
Hello.
Recently got my beginners and took my 81 305 out for the first time. First ride sucked. Couldn't go faster than 40km\h and could barely make it up a small hill. Came home and on my way noticed a suddenly. Burst of power than back to no power. Let the bike idle in the driveway and all of a sudden one cylinder starts smoking and the idle goes up to 5k.

I adjusted the idle back to normal and took it out again. Power seems great now and no more smoke.

Recently I've done a little work. Replaced the carvb holders and intake boots. Adjusted the choke idle as well which I think is too high now (3000 rpm).

Was wondering if this is something I should worry about or if there's something specific to look at.

81 kz305 ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2014 11:17 #631203 by Bonestock
Replied by Bonestock on topic no power
Sounds like you had a fuel/dirty carb problem & possibly a stuck ring or two. Had the bike been sitting a while?

If so, you may need to clean out the carb/fuel filter.

Old Skool ~

More
03 May 2014 12:11 #631208 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic no power
Sounds to me like your carbs need a thorough cleaning. 3,000 rpm is NOT idling; it is WAY too high. Idle speed on the KZ305 is 1200 - 1300 rpm (see image below). The symptoms you describe can be caused by dirty carbs. Ed

Attachment 00011_2014-05-03.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
03 May 2014 12:44 #631211 by Janz3n
Replied by Janz3n on topic no power
The idle isn't 3000 the idle with choke is after I adjusted it when I had the carbs off to replace the boots.

Also this bike has a different idle adjuster than that manual. I have the PDF for my bike and adjusted the idle proper before I rode it.

I would have to agree that its a dirty carb problem.

81 kz305 ltd

More
04 May 2014 05:04 #631267 by Janz3n

Bonestock wrote: Sounds like you had a fuel/dirty carb problem & possibly a stuck ring or two. Had the bike been sitting a while?

If so, you may need to clean out the carb/fuel filter.

not sure how long it was sitting. the guy i bought it from bought it from the PO who rode it last year. he bought it from him and just shined it up to re sell it. looks like he put a new fuel filter on already. did these bikes come with fuel filters stock? wondering if the PO didnt have one on at all.

I'm gonna ride it this season and as long as nothing happens i'll clean and re build the carbs in the fall.

81 kz305 ltd

More
04 May 2014 05:21 - 04 May 2014 05:22 #631268 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic no power
Would also inspect and verify proper functioning of the timing advancer by watching it under a strobe type timing light while varying rpm by blipping the throttle.

The advancer should quickly move back and forth from idle (retarded) to advanced position.

The advancer may require lubing, and perhaps also cleaning.

May be able to lube the weight arm pivots by access through the timing inspection window.

The advancer should NOT be in this condition:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 May 2014 05:22 by Patton.

More
04 May 2014 05:42 #631269 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic no power

Janz3n wrote: ... looks like he put a new fuel filter on already. did these bikes come with fuel filters stock? wondering if the PO didnt have one on at all....

Likely came stock with only a fuel filter screen that's part of the petcock.

A good aftermarket in-line fuel filter is highly recommended.

Here's a sample of the various types available:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
04 May 2014 08:08 - 04 May 2014 08:12 #631278 by Janz3n
thanks for the advice. i'll look at the advance.
correct me if im wrong though, the advance wouldnt have been the problem since i had smoke come out of one cylinder.
the bike has a filter similar to that one on it now that the guy put on before selling.

81 kz305 ltd
Last edit: 04 May 2014 08:12 by Janz3n.