I need a parts list for an engine rebuild.

More
26 Apr 2014 09:09 #630483 by Spikito
So I bought this 82 KZ1000 CSR, I was told it needed a little tuning up and its good to go.

Well after finding a crack in the oil pan, water in the oil filter, low compression on cylinder #1, and a lot of funky stuff in the engine side of carb #1, I've decided my best course of action would be to just tear it down and rebuild it, After all, I bought this bike to have something to wrench on.

I plan on leaving the crank and rods alone if i can, I just want to re-do the heads, and new rings on the pistons, granted everything else check out.

What I don't know, is that I see two different cam chains available, and several valve sizes available, plus a ton of little parts that go in the head, guides, dampers, etc.

I plan on ordering everything I can from Z1enterprises, just for consistency, and I have confidence that I will get the exact part I need.

I'll reserve the box the below this one and edit it to make a list. So If you can post part numbers, or links to the part for sale, I'd really appreciate it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2014 09:09 #630484 by Spikito
Replied by Spikito on topic I need a parts list for an engine rebuild.
Parts List.

More
26 Apr 2014 16:49 #630519 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic I need a parts list for an engine rebuild.
Do a leakdown test first to see what the low compression issue really is. Other than that it's whatever you want to do. The two different cam chains are for tbe 73-80 model motors, yours uses a hyvo style chain and sliders, like a modern car.

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

More
26 Apr 2014 20:15 #630530 by Spikito
I read that the hyvo was pre-1980 and a different style after that....

But the two chains ive seen were like, a 122 link, and a 124 link....I have no idea what I'd need until i took it apart and counted

More
26 Apr 2014 21:46 #630536 by steell
Replied by steell on topic I need a parts list for an engine rebuild.
Use of a HyVo style cam chain began in 1980 with the 750 Four, then into the 998cc motor in 1981.

It's actually a link plate chain, HyVo is trademarked but everyone calls it that anyway.

KD9JUR

More
26 Apr 2014 22:09 #630539 by Spikito
Well now I'm only seeing the one. I may have been looking at drive line chains and they had different sizes

www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...+link&item=KL12-0370

More
27 Apr 2014 09:51 #630577 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic I need a parts list for an engine rebuild.

Spikito wrote: Well now I'm only seeing the one. I may have been looking at drive line chains and they had different sizes

www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...+link&item=KL12-0370

You were seeing the 1980 and earlier chains.
"72-"78 were 122 link and "79-"80 were 124

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

More
27 Apr 2014 11:58 #630589 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic I need a parts list for an engine rebuild.
Water in the oil means there could be damage in the bottom end, depending on how long that water was in there. I'd pull the sump cover and inspect for damage inside before assuming too much about what parts you need.

When you get to the point of ordering parts, there are a multitude of different places to order OEM Kawasaki parts so find the parts fishe and make a list of all the various seals and gaskets. I believe Z1 will order OEM parts for you but it won't hurt if you have the part numbers ready at hand.

Good luck

More
28 Apr 2014 15:24 #630731 by Shdwdrgn
Replied by Shdwdrgn on topic I need a parts list for an engine rebuild.
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI have parts from multiple '81 engines that I will be tearing into soon. Since I'm doing a complete teardown, I figured a full gasket kit would be a good starting point. I've been seeing these...

Would there be any difference between gaskets for the J, K, and M models? I have two complete engines plus some extra parts... The complete engines are from a J and K, but everything I can see appears identical between them. I thought I read here somewhere that the Vesrah brand are good quality gaskets?

1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine

More
28 Apr 2014 19:59 #630760 by Spikito
I rarely see anything specific to M engines, I think for most general purposes they are the same as J, but I think theres some big differences with K.

As far as the oil/water goes, thats been weird....I had no reason to believe there was water in the case, until it came out of the filter, and ONLY the filter, and it was totally clean, pure water. There was nothing in the crank case, but then again, there was a 10 inch crack in the oil pan so nothing was there. While I had the oil pan off, everything in the trans and the crank/rods looked perfect. they all had a nice oily sheen, no rust, corrosion or deposits.

With the new oil pan on I filled it with oil and have spun the engine over several times, it turns freely, no hang ups or funny sounds, just the low compression in cylinder 1, which I have my theories about.

Like I said, I intend to leave the crank and rods alone, just re-work the heads and new rings.