Please Help my 550 was created by BCbikes
Bike:
1980 kz500a
pods, high flow exhaust
needle position 3
main jet 96
pilot: unsure

the problem:
Just rebuilt the top end with new gaskets and piston rings. followed the clymer manual and had some help from my friend. I also cleaned and lapped all the valves and adjusted the timing with new valve shims.

started the bike up and she was running great! took it for a couple little spins around the block. never really left 2nd gear. never really got the rmps up to high. did a couple warm up and cool down sessions as well.

today I went a little further and harder on the bike to start my break in. I rode fine for about 5min, then I got up to speed and basically got it up to WOT in 3rd maybe 4th gear. cant remember. right after I did this I heard a change in the exhaust sound and a sudden loss of power. then it happened again. sounded like I was loosing spark one at a time until I went to shift down and the bike just died. wouldnt start again.

I took it home and pulled the plugs. 3 of 4 had white fluffy build up on the tip of the ground electrode.

what happened? are my piston rings not seating and oil is getting past? or is she running lean at 3/4 plus throttle (main jet)?

the plugs other wise were okay, a little rich other then the tip of the electrode. and dry (no wetness)

please help! I have been trying to get this bike to run properly for over a year now.

Jeff

1980 kz550a

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2014 17:48 #629648 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic Please Help my 550
White fluffy depositys on the electrode? Sounds like youre running too lean and getting detonation, without a picture sounds like aluminum on the plugs esp. Running pods and exaust mods

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.