Running on two cylinders

More
13 Apr 2014 17:43 #628909 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Running on two cylinders
Just double checking -
# 3 and # 4 cylinders are working fine. Make sure the other spark plug wire from the coil that's hooked to the #3 cylinder spark plug is hooked to the #2 cylinder spark plug, and that the other spark plug wire from the coil that's hooked to the #4 cylinder spark plug is hooked to the #1 cylinder spark plug. I suspect you have already done this, but it wouldn't hurt to double check because if those 2 wires are attached to the wrong plugs you will experience the symptoms you describe. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2014 18:24 #628910 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Running on two cylinders

Attachment Dyna-Swirecollarcolor.jpg not found

Regardless of wire colors from the Dyna-S to the coils, be sure the left-hand (9 o'clock) Dyna-S module connects to whichever ignition coil has plug wires attached to the two outside spark plugs #1 and #4.

And would also spray starting fluid into #1 and #2 carb air intakes to determine whether combustion then occurs in #1 and #2 cylinders.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
16 Apr 2014 18:13 #629348 by freakinbike
Replied by freakinbike on topic Running on two cylinders

650ed wrote: Just double checking -
# 3 and # 4 cylinders are working fine. Make sure the other spark plug wire from the coil that's hooked to the #3 cylinder spark plug is hooked to the #2 cylinder spark plug, and that the other spark plug wire from the coil that's hooked to the #4 cylinder spark plug is hooked to the #1 cylinder spark plug. I suspect you have already done this, but it wouldn't hurt to double check because if those 2 wires are attached to the wrong plugs you will experience the symptoms you describe. Ed

Here's a lesson I should have learned long ago: ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK.

My 1-4 coil was connected to 2-4, and my 2-3 coil was connected to 1-3. Makes sense why 1 and 2 weren't firing. Thank you for this post that made me double check. I switched them and it fired right up. All four headers were blazing hot within a few minutes so it's just on to tune the carbs.

1982 GPZ750, stock (for now..)
1973 VW Bus
Can life really get much better?

More
16 Apr 2014 18:56 #629357 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Running on two cylinders
I'm glad that was it! I know it must have sounded like music when all 4 fired up. :) Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
16 Apr 2014 21:51 - 16 Apr 2014 21:54 #629370 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Running on two cylinders

loudhvx wrote: Is it possible you just have the spark plug wires on the wrong plugs?

loudhvx wrote: As Ed mentioned, one coil fires the # 2 and #3 plugs, while the other coil fires the #1 and #4.

The coil firing #1 and #4 will have a black wire.
The coil firing #2 and #3 will have a green wire.

I guess I'll be more insistent next time. :laugh:

It sure does sound nice when it all lights up. B)
Last edit: 16 Apr 2014 21:54 by loudhvx.