Oil Pressure Questions

More
09 Apr 2014 17:20 - 09 Apr 2014 17:23 #628462 by bLodi
Replied by bLodi on topic Oil Pressure Questions
Well I got a little over excited about it and tore it apart. I needed to pull the exhaust to get the oil filter out for a change anyways. Here is what I found...a bit debris in the pan...not near what I found a few years ago when I pulled it. The screen does have some debris in it, but nothing that should limit flow significantly (see pic). Then I submerged the pickup portion of the pump into the oil I had drained and spun it by hand and it does seem to be pumping oil. Not sure if this is sufficient or not, so I took a video....see below. I get my "new" one probably friday or saturday, so I can do the same with it and compare.

If it is my light that is just acting up...it only really would be the oil pressure switch right? I just replaced the switch with a NOS one. Question, should there be anything between the switch and the filter tube to help switch it on? I can look right up where the filter screws in and see the bottom of the switch.

Attachment IMG_20140409_184447.jpg not found

Video link.....
flic.kr/p/mWUBk6

www.blodisign.com
\\\\\\\'74 Z1
V&H 4-1 Header, Pod Filters, Dyna Ignition, Dyna Coils, Dyna Wires, lowering kit...much more.
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Apr 2014 17:23 by bLodi.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2014 19:17 #628481 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Oil Pressure Questions
You should be able to see the bottom of the switch.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
10 Apr 2014 04:54 #628520 by ZERO
Replied by ZERO on topic Oil Pressure Questions
How are your cam bearings? In the past, I've had two Zs that the oil light would indicate on and both of them had worn cam bearings that allowed the pressure to bleed down.

Only Kawasakis have a soul 1977 Kawi KZ1000 special 2000 Kawi ZRX1100

More
10 Apr 2014 05:35 - 10 Apr 2014 06:06 #628528 by bLodi

ZERO wrote: How are your cam bearings? In the past, I've had two Zs that the oil light would indicate on and both of them had worn cam bearings that allowed the pressure to bleed down.

Good question. I have no idea. Just had the cams out to double check the cam timing and don't really know how to inspect/measure them.

Bike has 34K on it and as far as I know the bearings have never been replaced.

www.blodisign.com
\\\\\\\'74 Z1
V&H 4-1 Header, Pod Filters, Dyna Ignition, Dyna Coils, Dyna Wires, lowering kit...much more.
Last edit: 10 Apr 2014 06:06 by bLodi.

More
10 Apr 2014 06:20 - 10 Apr 2014 06:54 #628537 by bLodi
Where are 31-34 on this diagram located? Is this the pressure relief valve? I don't see them on my bike......
Also, I never had replaced the oring that goes in the oilpan around the oil filter, gonna go ahead and order one today, maybe not a bad idea to replace the oring that goes between the oil pump and crank case too.

Attachment Oilpan.jpg not found

www.blodisign.com
\\\\\\\'74 Z1
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Apr 2014 06:54 by bLodi.

More
10 Apr 2014 13:16 #628580 by bLodi
Found this in the service manual too....might be worth a shot on my old switch if things are still not right when I reassemble everything....

Attachment Switch.jpg not found

www.blodisign.com
\\\\\\\'74 Z1
Attachments:

More
10 Apr 2014 15:30 #628597 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Oil Pressure Questions

bLodi wrote: ...Just had the cams out to double check the cam timing....

Uncertain why it would have been necessary to remove the cams incident to checking the cam timing (as opposed to adjusting valve clearances where the bucket is removed in order to access the shim).

In any event, the cam caps should be replaced in exactly the same positions from which they were removed. The FSM may include a photo showing the position of each numbered cap.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: wargoth

More
10 Apr 2014 17:52 - 10 Apr 2014 17:57 #628615 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Oil Pressure Questions
Two things will cause that.

1 - Somebody left out the o ring that goes between the pan and the filter housing boss on the bottom case.
2- The switch is bad.

Bad pump.....perhaps but I seriously doubt it.

Larry C.
Last edit: 10 Apr 2014 17:57 by LarryC.

More
10 Apr 2014 19:34 #628633 by bLodi
Patton-I should have specified. I took the cams out to reset the timing after I realized both cams appeared to be one tooth retarded. So, I reset them per the manual directions and now they are dead on. I did replace all the caps/bearings as they were previously.

Larry- I did not replace the o ring you are referring to between the pan and lower case the last time I dropped the pan a few years ago. I did notice it seems rather "flattened" this time pulling it out. Possible it just wasn't sealing this whole time, pretty sure I've "overfilled" it since then to keep the light off. I've ordered a new one and every other o-ring in the pan/pump/filter area. You might be right on with that suggestion. I've also ordered an oil pressure gauge so I can see if the oil pressure switch/light are BSing me.

www.blodisign.com
\\\\\\\'74 Z1

More
15 Apr 2014 16:30 #629151 by bLodi
Well, I think Larry was right on with the o ring suggestion. I got my new orings and seals today and finally put it back together along with adding an oil pressure gauge. Filled to the correct amount of oil....no light! And good pressure according to what I've read here on the gauge. That o ring around the filter between the pan and block was really flattened and probably wasn't sealing.
Happy that it's all back together and running great again! Thanks guys!

www.blodisign.com
\\\\\\\'74 Z1