Clutch Drag

More
07 Apr 2014 05:04 #628162 by Irish Yobbo
Clutch Drag was created by Irish Yobbo
Hi All,

I'm slowly getting my kz250 to the point where it is ride-able, however I have an issue with my clutch dragging. Now I'm more experience with cars where clutch drag usually means an adjustment or wear in the linkages or hydraulics, but I imagine wet clutches are a bit different. I wound the cable out quite far, and the travel before the clutch engages properly is quite long - however when I change from neutral to 1st, it kicks a fair bit and the revs drop a little. I can hold it with my feet, but I cannot change up or down gears while stationary (except from neutral into gear).

I think an oil change will be first on the list and making sure the cable provides as much travel as possible, but is there anything else I should look at too?

Thanks.

1981 KZ750 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
More
07 Apr 2014 09:50 #628184 by Grumpy Ole Artist
Replied by Grumpy Ole Artist on topic Clutch Drag
Someone will no doubt jump in if I am wrong, but I believe that one can't shift higher than first gear until the bike is actually moving (rear wheel spinning)...There are 3 points for clutch adjustment...at the handle, in the middle of the cable, and under small rectangular mini cover (in the center of the clutch cover)...and watch what type of oil you put in bike...modern car oils have "friction modifiers" are bad for a "wet" clutch. Hope this helps!

1978 KZ650 B2
Former rides...1976 CB360T, 1985 Shadow 700, 1985 GPZ750Turbo

More
08 Apr 2014 03:15 #628298 by Irish Yobbo
Replied by Irish Yobbo on topic Clutch Drag
Thanks for that. I'm not surprised that I can't go to a higher gear, but I can't go to a lower either - once I'm in first I'm stuck in first. It hasn't always been this way, but it has been sitting for a while.

I wouldn't be surprised if the previous owner put plain old engine oil in. I'll adjust as best as I can and replace the oil and see where we are after that.

1981 KZ750 LTD