Kicker slipping?

More
04 Apr 2014 15:16 #627871 by n9viw
Kicker slipping? was created by n9viw
This may have been covered before, but I was unable to find anything specific to my query using a search.

The patient is a new-to-me '82 CSR750. It's a little cold-blooded to start, and as some PO boogered up the start switch and some wiring, the starter is essentially nonfunctional. I've been kick starting it, and it usually takes close to a dozen before it'll fire.

Part of the reason it takes that many is because maybe a third of them are just controlled falls, not actual kicks- the kicker doesn't seem to catch, and there's SOME resistance, but not much, and it doesn't turn the engine over at all. I bring it up to the top and take another swing, and the engine turns over (or, like the second third of the kicks, one of the cylinders is BTDC and I'm kicking against compression... ouch!)

Haven't changed the oil yet, so it's entirely possible some PO used car oil, but the clutch doesn't slip while riding, and it's adjusted per FSM specs.

Any suggestions?

Nick

1982 KZ750M1 (CSR750), aka "Bat Outta Hell"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2014 18:55 - 04 Apr 2014 18:56 #627894 by Attatoy
Replied by Attatoy on topic Kicker slipping?
just went though this.....the previous owner had used a hammer to hit the kickstarter onto the shaft. what this did on mine was smack the snap ring off that is under the clutch cover.....well mine was just mashed in , but basically non functional. what this does is decrease the amount that the dogs on the starter pal have to engage. it gives a empty kick if you will. its worth having a look cause if im not mistaken yea have to split the case to change that starter clutch assembly for the kicker. the parts are pretty tough in there. Very well built. My bet would be the shity snap ring. Good luck!
Last edit: 04 Apr 2014 18:56 by Attatoy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n9viw

More
06 Apr 2014 16:26 #628113 by n9viw
Replied by n9viw on topic Kicker slipping?
Okay, I'll have to get that cover off and take a look. Hopefully, nothing's mashed on the INSIDE! I'm almost willing to leave it alone, just because it generally works, but I don't want it getting any worse.

Nick

1982 KZ750M1 (CSR750), aka "Bat Outta Hell"

More
06 Apr 2014 19:05 #628134 by Attatoy
Replied by Attatoy on topic Kicker slipping?
As noted, the parts int he case are pretty hefty. rip that cover off! I need a kickstarter if you know of one! ;)