starter

More
01 Apr 2014 17:24 #627468 by akiyama 640
starter was created by akiyama 640
i have a 1984 zn 700 starter worked when cold after engine heats up starter would be slow. now starter does not work.solinoid is working fine i even tried a jumper wire to the starter with no luck. removed the starter and jumped the starter with a battery charger it works but is a little noisy so is my starter bad or do i have a differant problem ive only had the bike a few weeks s i dont know its history

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2014 18:04 #627474 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic starter
Did you check the condition of your battery?

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

More
02 Apr 2014 04:25 #627500 by Irish Yobbo
Replied by Irish Yobbo on topic starter
Can you turn the gear on the starter by hand? If it's anything like any starter on a car (I'm still a bit of a noob when it comes to motorbikes) it will spin freely with little noise.

Did you try jump starting the motorbike? If you can jump the motorbike, it's a battery or connection problem. Check you earth cable is in good nick and has a clean connection (and make sure that it's actually to the earth - the first thing I had to do on my bike is re-attach the earth, because the previous owner had bolted it to the battery box which is not earthed to the rest of the bike.).

1981 KZ750 LTD

More
02 Apr 2014 15:12 #627571 by akiyama 640
Replied by akiyama 640 on topic starter
checked battery first,i watched some videos on you tube on starters and i am pretty sure it is the starter. when i put power to the starter it just spun it did not jump off the floor like in the vids i watched. i am ordering a rebuild kit from RICKS ELECTRICS only 40.00 bucks