KZ750 CSR: No start and backfiring

• bpchura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750 CSR
More
31 Mar 2014 13:17 #627244 by bpchura
Replied by bpchura on topic KZ750 CSR: No start and backfiring
Which coil is that? I've read about people saying that on different posts but the only one I can see is the one that's in the 60's.

About the float. It was fine before. It ran fine and was set by the shop I had worked on it. I just thought that while I was in there I would check it out. I did a clear tube test with one of the carbs (the other drain hole is sheered off by the previous owner ) and it seemed to be really close to the top of the bowl. So when I had them apart and followed the manual to set them by measuing the hight of the float against the body when the carbs where inverted. It was slightly off so I closed the needle in just a hair on both carbs. So adjustment was minimal and this all was AFTER the bike seemed to be initially flooding when I was searching for the cause of the no start.

Hope that makes sense. I want to paint an accurate picuture so you guys can get the whole situation.

Also, I am not actually seeing any flooding. No fluids running anywhere. Just after a while of cranking, the plugs are wet with fuel when pulled out.

The first motorcycle race began when the second motorcycle was built. - Anonymous

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2014 17:46 #627290 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic KZ750 CSR: No start and backfiring
Could remove both spark plugs.
Spray starting fluid into each cylinder.
Don't replace the plugs for an hour (allow the combustion chambers to dry.)
Remove fuel line from the petcock (prevent gasoline from entering carbs).

Turn ignition ON.
Attempt to start the engine (see if the engine will temporarily fire) by spraying starting fluid into the air box while spinning over the engine.

This experiment is to eliminate carb influence on the combustion, and basically test the ignition capability.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• bpchura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750 CSR
More
31 Mar 2014 17:58 #627292 by bpchura
I will check that out. Sadly, I wont be at my house for another week but will check that when I can. Thanks for the suggestion

The first motorcycle race began when the second motorcycle was built. - Anonymous

More
31 Mar 2014 23:22 #627368 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic KZ750 CSR: No start and backfiring

bpchura wrote: Which coil is that? I've read about people saying that on different posts but the only one I can see is the one that's in the 60's. .

www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...zuki&item=EM24-72451

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• bpchura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750 CSR
More
01 Apr 2014 08:59 #627406 by bpchura
Thanks a lot for the link. I would have never found that looking around. Sadly its out of stock. 4ohm too. I always thought these bikes ran three. This one works for both point and electronic ignition correct?

More
01 Apr 2014 12:46 #627436 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic KZ750 CSR: No start and backfiring
I think that coil will work fine with the electronic ignition. You may get a little less delivered energy because of slightly less primary current, but I do not think you could ever notice the difference.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• bpchura
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1982 KZ750 CSR
More
08 Apr 2014 10:11 #628333 by bpchura
Update: Bike is running and happy. After spraying starter fluid into the air box while cranking, no popping or anything at all. On a limb, i bought new plugs and put them in. A hit from the starter fluid and it was good to go. Who knew plugs that didnt seem dirty and where gapped correctly could cause such a problem.
Thanks for the help guys!