• User
More
25 Mar 2014 15:44 #626552 by candyskateboards
Sav A Thread (Helicoil) Help was created by candyskateboards
Hello there,

Im working on a
1979 Honda CM185t (twinstar)
a single carb twin.
The previous owner, failed to mention that he stripped the spark plug hole in one side. As I have been riding it more and more the plug loosens/wears the threads more so I have been losing compression and its been harder to start once it is warmed up.

Now, I bought a Sav A Thread kit off of ebay for the m14x1.25 plugs, not realizing that my 185 uses a smaller plug m10x1 ( NGK C7HSA).

So, I was thinking about getting another m14 insert and converting the bike to take larger plugs (BP7HS). The stock coils fit the larger plugs fine but Im worried about the bike running worse if i do this. Any input, ideas, or sav a thread for sale/trade?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2014 18:12 #626579 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Sav A Thread (Helicoil) Help
Don't do that get the correct helicoil, you can run into problems like the larger plug hitting a valve, ect.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
25 Mar 2014 18:27 #626584 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic Sav A Thread (Helicoil) Help
Ya, I agree. Do the proper fix. I would Helicoil it.

If you are keeping the bike and its worth the repair....... do it yourself.

If you doubt your skills, have a pro do it. You can really fk it up fast if you don't know how to do it.

Be real on your ability. I ask for help if in doubt.

Good luck.

• candyskateboards
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Mar 2014 23:06 - 25 Mar 2014 23:24 #626621 by candyskateboards
Replied by candyskateboards on topic Sav A Thread (Helicoil) Help
The larger plug that I'm looking at has an increased diameter of 4mm but it has the same reach. Do you think the larger diameter would have a chance of hitting the valves? Isn't the spark plug just flush the head of the engine?

edit: this is what i need
www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/HEL0/1...l&pt=N2377&ppt=C1986
but i just paid $23 shipped for the 14mm kit. Im having trouble finding a 10mm kit, so if your internet skills are good or you happen to find one in a store near you, please pick it up for me, ill pay you back!

edit:
also this is what gave me the idea of using the bigger plug
Last edit: 25 Mar 2014 23:24 by candyskateboards.

• candyskateboards
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Apr 2014 18:11 #628268 by candyskateboards
Replied by candyskateboards on topic Sav A Thread (Helicoil) Help
Put about 100 miles on the CM185 the last few days and its gotten progressively worse. Its too damn hard to resist a ride when its nice out and your bike sort of works. well i got the parts i needed in today. i was able to work out a deal with a guy on ebay to get what i needed to get the job done for around $50 shipped.

Here's what youll need(helicoil part numbers):
Tool: 4971-10 (installs insterts)
Piloted Tap: 1030-10 (rethreads spark plug hole/enlarges it for the insterts)
Inserts: R474-4

You'll need needle nose pliers to break the tang off by bending it back and forth. Some grease to put on the tap to catch the shaving. I used a shop vac to suck any debris that may have fell into the cylinder and used the shaft of the piloted tap to have a more fitted sucking hose.

The bike fires up first time kick or electric with no head leak!