KZ750 Twin Chain Guides

More
20 Mar 2014 06:12 #625870 by JJZ
KZ750 Twin Chain Guides was created by JJZ
I'm rebuilding my 1978 KZ750, and I'm stuck at the jugs. I got them about halfway up. The cylinder liners are just clear of the case, by 1/8" or less, but something is getting hung up. Both chain guides are coming out with the jugs, including the gear from the chain tensioner. Should that be staying in the case? The manual doesn't specify, but a later photo shows the front chain guide and gear staying in the case after the jugs come off (pic attached). My guess is that I have to tap that front chain guide and gear out of jugs (it's wedged in there good), but I wanted to check with the experts here before I break something. Does anyone have experience with this?

THANKS!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZJOE900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2014 12:12 - 20 Mar 2014 12:14 #625908 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic KZ750 Twin Chain Guides
I have a ton of experience with these on a 79 750 twin. There are two chain guides. The rear (solid) one is tricky. You have to raise it up slightly then pull the guide upward and let it pop forward so it will come off. It is removed from the top.

The guides are a royal PITA and they are even more trouble going back on.

My manual has more info than the picture you posted. If you don't have a Kawi manual, you need to get one.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 20 Mar 2014 12:14 by bountyhunter.

More
20 Mar 2014 12:15 #625909 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic KZ750 Twin Chain Guides
Forgot you asked: yes, the chain guide shown in the picture has to stay in place while the cylinder goes off and on.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
The following user(s) said Thank You: JJZ

More
20 Mar 2014 12:20 #625910 by JJZ
Replied by JJZ on topic KZ750 Twin Chain Guides
Okay, that's what I was trying to figure out. I have the manual, but it didn't go into that much detail, so I'm looking at the other pictures to figure out more about the chain guides. Hearing from someone with experience is much better. Thanks for taking the time to reply!!!