Big favor: Bolt dimensions on '82 550 tensioner

More
15 Mar 2014 14:41 #625310 by Dresgeve
Here's the deal, my '82 KZ550 LTD was having issues starting, finally suspected timing and took it apart to re-time it. I was literally 30 minutes from being done... As I was putting the tensioner back in though, the bottom bolt head spun off... Luckily there's still bolt showing, so I should be able to get it back out easily. Anyway, it was really late that night, so I packed it up and went home (I live about 35 minutes from my place to work). School took over, but I may actually be able to go out late tonight and try to finish it up! Only thing is, I need the bolt dimensions. I'd just go grab the second bolt from the garage, but by the time I can head out there, it'll take too long to drive back and stores will be closed, so I need to go out with parts in hand if possible. So does anyone have those dimensions available? I'd greatly appreciate it! I'm dying to get this thing back on the road! It's my place to think :P

Just to avoid any confusion, I need the two bolts on here: (I know everyone knows what a tensioner is... Still, might as well clarify just to play it safe :P )

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2014 15:52 #625320 by 650ed
According to Kawasaki.com the bolts are 6x25mm (see image below). I HIGHLY recommend you use an appropriate torque wrench (INCH pounds) and the torque specs in the manual so you don't damage the cylinder head. Otherwise big bucks will be needed to fix the problem. Ed

Attachment 00007_2014-03-15-2.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
15 Mar 2014 16:16 #625325 by Dresgeve
Ah, that should do it, thanks! I didn't even think about that site for some reason. Yeah, I am using a torque wrench where necessary, but amazingly this broke off before it even reached the engine wall. There wasn't any major torque needed yet, but somehow it spun off. I guess it just reached it's limit. I've never seen a bolt break that easily though without major corrosion.

More
16 Mar 2014 08:51 - 16 Mar 2014 08:52 #625395 by loudhvx
Read the valve train warning in my signature if you haven't already. You have to remove the tensioner cross wedge before installing the tensioner and/or valve cover.
Last edit: 16 Mar 2014 08:52 by loudhvx.