oil leak in ignition points

More
12 Mar 2014 14:59 - 12 Mar 2014 15:00 #624986 by happyhunter
oil leak in ignition points was created by happyhunter
I have a leak in my 82 305 CSR which causes oil to run down from the left side top cover. The ignition points are behind this cover. I replaced the points a few months back and noted the gasket under the cover was torn. I just left it out and put the cover back on.

Is it normal for oil to be in that part of the engine? I do not see a way for it to get back to the bottom end. If I put a new gasket under the cover will I have bigger probs when the points are swimming in oil. I am thinking it may need a cam seal of some sort???? Maybe I am thinking too much??

I am loving this warmer weather here in PA. Made it to about 60 yesterday. I am approaching 100 miles on my first bike!!!!

Thanks,
HH

'82 Kawasaki KZ305CSR
I did not set out to buy a project bike,
but I got one anyway.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2014 15:00 by happyhunter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2014 17:39 - 12 Mar 2014 17:46 #625000 by JR
Replied by JR on topic oil leak in ignition points
Hi
I'm not familiar with the 305 but kawasaki.com owner info, parts diagrams etc shows an oil seal for that end of the camshaft. Clicking on the part # it says the part is still active so you should be able to order from any Kawasaki dealer. It world probably be a good idea to replace it. Shouldn't be to difficult and a manual would be a big help in putting everything back together and avoiding incorrect assembly and bent valves.

I didn't check on the points cover or cylinder cover gaskets but if they are not available you could try cutting your own from gasket paper.

Oil is a good insulator so I think that if it gets on the points then they would not function properly

Good luck

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 12 Mar 2014 17:46 by JR.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.