Starter clutch preventing high revving

More
07 Mar 2014 10:09 #624422 by freakinbike
Starter clutch preventing high revving was created by freakinbike
I already know my starter clutch is out on my 1982 GPz750. It makes a horrid KKCKCKCKGHCKCHG noise when the starter button is pressed. However, I've tried push starting it really struggles.

I put it into second and pushed it and it seemed to start, but as soon as I pulled in the clutch again, it died. I was able to get it started and to run once, but even at full throttle it just wasn't revving up as high as it should.

My engines professor theorized that my starter clutch could be stuck, not disengaging when the bike starts. He said that could also be the reason it makes that horrid noise.

I'm going to start rebuilding the starter clutch. Is this the right way to go? Could there be something else holding the rpms back? Could that horrid noise be coming from something other than starter clutch?

1982 GPZ750, stock (for now..)
1973 VW Bus
Can life really get much better?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
07 Mar 2014 15:48 #624453 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Starter clutch preventing high revving
That would definately be a good place to start, once you get motor to start/run then you can dignose other issues it may have.

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.