Pitted Head Gasket

• Scrubadubbdubb
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Mar 2014 15:13 #624170 by Scrubadubbdubb
Pitted Head Gasket was created by Scrubadubbdubb
Alright to the cylinder block off to make measurements and confirm that bottom end was still good. This is what the top surface of it looks like after I have cleaned it all up. I had installed a new head gasket and then found out my head was all jacked so I disassembled and bought a new cylinder head. I'd just like some input on what I can do about the pitting? Any input would be appreciated!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2014 16:25 #624176 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic Pitted Head Gasket
Normal nothing to worry about check the block for flatness if it checks ok run it.

1984 750 Turbo

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
04 Mar 2014 16:46 #624180 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic Pitted Head Gasket
I agree with DFIGPZ.

I presented the same condition to my machine shop guy when my cylinder was bored, he was not concerned with it.

I ran it and am running it now without issues.

Don't worry about it.

• Scrubadubbdubb
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Mar 2014 17:32 #624190 by Scrubadubbdubb
Replied by Scrubadubbdubb on topic Pitted Head Gasket
Great that makes me feel a lot better. Here's a second question though. I have bought some spray-a-copper gasket sealant meant to be sprayed onto gaskets and allowed to tack up for extra seal. It's high temp and says specifically for head gaskets, exhaust manifolds, and turbochargers. Should I go ahead and use this on the base gasket and/or head gasket when I reassemble?

More
04 Mar 2014 20:09 #624209 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Pitted Head Gasket
Scotch bright pad will clean that up, it is normal.

More
05 Mar 2014 12:47 #624259 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Pitted Head Gasket

Scrubadubbdubb wrote: Great that makes me feel a lot better. Here's a second question though. I have bought some spray-a-copper gasket sealant meant to be sprayed onto gaskets and allowed to tack up for extra seal. It's high temp and says specifically for head gaskets, exhaust manifolds, and turbochargers. Should I go ahead and use this on the base gasket and/or head gasket when I reassemble?

I used a sealer like yamabond or 3-bond on the base gasket to prevent any possibility of oil leaks. Head gaskets usually don't need any sealer.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
02 Apr 2014 12:12 #627536 by J.Holiday
Replied by J.Holiday on topic Pitted Head Gasket
Is it better to use a copper spray gasket sealer as mentioned in the OP or could a fellow use black high temp (650F) from AutoZone?

'82 KZ1000 LTD First bike and a WIP