Side gapping plugs?

• stilkikin
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Why the **** did I do that?
More
02 Mar 2014 08:55 #623868 by stilkikin
Side gapping plugs? was created by stilkikin
Anyone done it to their KZ? Did it make any difference. I side gapped and indexed plugs on my 351C and the seat of the pants dyno did not tell me much. Would it help these engines any?

82 KZ750L
78 KZ650SR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2014 12:19 #623903 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Side gapping plugs?
I have yet to see any data I believe that indicates rotating the plug gap does anything.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
03 Mar 2014 13:31 #624041 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Side gapping plugs?
Indexing plugs is done when there is only one position where the ground strap on the plug will not hit the piston, it's got nothing to do with power.

Side gapping plugs? If you're totally bored and want to be able to say you did something, or want to brag about it to others without a clue, then go ahead. There is no benefit to side gap plugs in a KZ motor.

KD9JUR
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

More
04 Mar 2014 18:39 #624198 by Rampage1967
Replied by Rampage1967 on topic Side gapping plugs?
Side gapping plugs is simplyaway to deal with tight clearances in the combustion chamber, nothing more.

1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C1??
1974 Honda CB 360

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
04 Mar 2014 23:31 #624222 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Side gapping plugs?
The way it was explained to me as a kid by my dad way back when was that it was used as a way to point the electrode towards a certain point in the combustion chamber.
He swore up and down that it was the thing to do back in his stock car racing days, ive never tried it on a bike.

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
05 Mar 2014 02:33 #624230 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Side gapping plugs?
I've never seen any measured results from indexing spark plugs. It can however help create a more efficient burn of the charge in the chamber. These old hemi head motors will tolerate a great deal of inaccuracies and still run down the road pretty well. You're certainly not going to hurt anything by helping the combustion process be more efficient.....

Larry C.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
05 Mar 2014 02:51 #624231 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Side gapping plugs?
On engines with the plug mounted to one side of the combustion chamber the earth electrode can shield the spark from the fuel charges core.
Indexing the plug so that the spark is open and facing the center of the combustion chamber gives the best chance for a full burn.
Whether or not there is any actual measurable improvement in power and efficiency is debatable but in racing any small chance of a gain over the competition is never dismissed.
Twin plugging, especially on large bore engines and those with high domed piston crowns is proven to give a fuller burn, a noticeable increase in power and reduce charge loss so there's no reason not to index your plugs if you think there might be a gain.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
05 Mar 2014 12:33 #624258 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Side gapping plugs?
But here's the problem.... this guy shows how to "side gap" a plug and get all that increased power.

www.instructables.com/id/Save-Gas-And-In...r-By-Side-Gapping-S/

Problem is, I know exactly what's going to happen. As the high voltage builds up on the coil secondary, an E-field increases between the electrodes until (at some point) it is strong enough to cause a spark to jump across which will likely be the shortest path nearest the electrode tip. As the plug ages, it will gradually burn the closer areas and the spark jump area will move away from the edge which increases the linear distance the spark has to jump. The point is, you still get a spark at some point across the contacts same as a standard plug. I honestly don't see how this can possibly increase power. Would like to see some actual data.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Attachments: