Quiz of the day - guess a part...

More
01 Mar 2014 13:40 - 01 Mar 2014 14:24 #623766 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic Quiz of the day - guess a part...

jonarmstrong wrote: Valve seals??

Well, I guess that's about as close as you can get without actually guessing it, so I'll spill it.

I found the crumbs in the pics above rattling around when reinstalling my exhaust today, they're the sad remains of my #3 exhaust valve guide that went missing a year and a half ago.

It all started out with cylinder 3 intermittently cutting out. I mistakenly took it for a carb problem and went through the carbs three or four times, obviously test riding the bike after each attempt like an idiot, only to see the problem get worse.

When it finally dawned on me to buy a gauge and do a compression test I had no compression at all on cylinder 3, time to pull the head. Found #3 exhaust valve bent and dangling with about 1/4" of valve guide and the guide seal still on the valve, the rest of the guide had just vanished until this morning. Luckily the valve didn't break, but it must have slapped around pretty good, the hole where the guide should be was big enough to stick my pinky through.

By some sort of miracle there was no damage whatsoever to combustion chamber, piston or cylinder wall and no debris left in there, it all went straight out - still cost me close to 350 bucks to have a very competent machine shop in the next town weld a bushing in the head, install a new guide, recut the seat and touch up the others. Oh well, could have gone a lot worse I guess, at least it was mildly amusing to finally find the remains...

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Mar 2014 14:24 by OnkelB.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2014 18:28 #623797 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Quiz of the day - guess a part...
That is really strange. Glad the damage wasn't too bad.

On the 550's, it's common for a metal choke flap to somehow miraculously make it through the entire combustion chamber, never to be sen again. Occasionally, though, one will get caught in a valve. :pinch:

More
01 Mar 2014 20:58 #623822 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Quiz of the day - guess a part...
Wow Bo, glad more serious damage did not occur.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
02 Mar 2014 04:00 - 02 Mar 2014 06:01 #623839 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Quiz of the day - guess a part...
I'm not surprised that none of the pieces got into the chamber. When the exhaust valve is open there's a good bit of pressure heading outward.

Wasn't the bike smoking a good bit?

It's not uncommon to have exhaust guides sink in J heads. Your's was pretty extreme :lol:

I have one on the way to repair for the same problem but not as bad as yours. It should be fixable with the +.027 APE guides 99101-25.

I have seen stock J guides so loose they were actually moving up and down in their bores when the valve moved.

BTW, your spark plug needs to be turned 180 degrees. Get some indexing washers and fix all 4 while your at it.

You might be fine but if you are running cams over 420 lift with stock guides, it's advisable to check your clearance distance between the valve seals and the keepers and/or retainers.

I thought you had a ported head on that bike :unsure: The valve seat region looks pretty stock to me...

Larry C.
Last edit: 02 Mar 2014 06:01 by LarryC.

More
02 Mar 2014 06:33 #623852 by PaintWorkz
Replied by PaintWorkz on topic Quiz of the day - guess a part...

LarryC wrote: I'm not surprised that none of the pieces got into the chamber. When the exhaust valve is open there's a good bit of pressure heading outward.

It's not uncommon to have exhaust guides sink in J heads. Your's was pretty extreme :lol:

I have one on the way to repair for the same problem but not as bad as yours. It should be fixable with the +.027 APE guides 99101-25.

I have seen stock J guides so loose they were actually moving up and down in their bores when the valve moved.

BTW, your spark plug needs to be turned 180 degrees. Get some indexing washers and fix all 4 while your at it.

You might be fine but if you are running cams over 420 lift with stock guides, it's advisable to check your clearance distance between the valve seals and the keepers and/or retainers.

I thought you had a ported head on that bike :unsure: The valve seat region looks pretty stock to me...

Intake port looks ported too me...but yes the seat areas would benefit from blending.

www.paintworkz.com

84 Gpz900 street
77 KZ 1325 Turbo Dragbike project
79 CBX Pro Stock projects (2)
78 Z1R-TC AMA & ECTA LSR record holder
68 750 Enfield Brat project
82 750 Nourish Triumph LSR
Lake Havasu City, AZ

More
02 Mar 2014 06:42 #623854 by OnkelB

loudhvx wrote: ...On the 550's, it's common for a metal choke flap to somehow miraculously make it through the entire combustion chamber, never to be sen again. Occasionally, though, one will get caught in a valve. :pinch:

Ouch.. :blink: Yeah, like I said, could have been a lot worse especially if the valve had broken - I have a 650 topend lying around where that happened (not to me, got it with a stash of parts in a trade), combustion chamber is busted beyond repair, piston is just a piece of scrap alu, cylinder wall is torn apart and the piston rod is damaged.

More
02 Mar 2014 06:52 - 02 Mar 2014 06:54 #623855 by OnkelB

LarryC wrote: I'm not surprised that none of the pieces got into the chamber. When the exhaust valve is open there's a good bit of pressure heading outward.

That makes sense now that I think about it - and no, it didn't really smoke, not that I noticed anyway.

Already done, the ones in the pic are just random old plugs I stuck in when I sodablasted the combustion chambers.

As far as I know the engine is bone stock GPz 1100 B2, at least I haven't done anything to it.

Good to see you around again btw.

Last edit: 02 Mar 2014 06:54 by OnkelB.

More
02 Mar 2014 13:55 - 02 Mar 2014 14:01 #623914 by LarryC

OnkelB wrote:

That makes sense now that I think about it - and no, it didn't really smoke, not that I noticed anyway.

Already done, the ones in the pic are just random old plugs I stuck in when I sodablasted the combustion chambers.

As far as I know the engine is bone stock GPz 1100 B2, at least I haven't done anything to it.

Good to see you around again btw.

NIce to see you as well :) That's amazing it didn't smoke.

This is what's headed my way to sort out

Attachment imagejpeg_2_4.jpg not found

Larry C.
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Mar 2014 14:01 by LarryC.

More
02 Mar 2014 14:05 #623916 by LarryC

loudhvx wrote: That is really strange. Glad the damage wasn't too bad.

On the 550's, it's common for a metal choke flap to somehow miraculously make it through the entire combustion chamber, never to be sen again. Occasionally, though, one will get caught in a valve. :pinch:

Yep... I've seen that too. Amazing how that can happen. That was a pretty hokey setup on those TK carburetors to begin with.

Larry C.