kz440 idles fine but no throttle response

More
24 Feb 2014 11:36 #623190 by longwood
Hello,
I have a 1980 kz440. I have no clue on the designation (a/b/c/d) can anyone point me in the direction so that I may be able to find out? So when the bike is warm it idles fine, but it sounds almost like it is running on one cylinder. When I take the spark plugs out of rider's right cylinder the spark plug is wet. Also, when I take the wire off that side when the bike is running it does not change idle, confirming my belief of it only running on one cylinder. I think the coil pack is bad so I am going to buy one off ebay because I don't have the tool to test my current one. Does anyone have any other ideas before I buy it or anything else to check first? I know the distributor but wouldn't that affect both cylinders not only one side?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2014 13:54 - 24 Feb 2014 15:50 #623201 by JR
From kawasaki.com owner info, parts diagrams etc etc (try it) it looks like you have a single coil which fires both plugs at the same time. One cylinder will be on the compression stroke when the plug fires and the other cylinder will be on the exhaust stroke. Its called wasted spark. If the coil was bad neither plug would have spark. A good way to confirm if a cylinder is running is to spit or spray water on the exhaust pipe as it exits the cylinder head and watch the water sizzle right off.

Your problem is likely to be either the spark plug itself or the lead from the coil together with the plug cap. Swap the plug lead from one spark plug to the other If the problem moves to the other cylinder then its probably the plug cap or lead. Plug caps - the plastic piece which fits over the spark plug - do go bad. They have an internal resistor which can break down. Sometimes you can solve the problem by unscrewing the plug cap from the plug lead, paring back the plug wire about a 1/4 inch and screwing back the cap. Sometimes its better just to replace the cap with a new one.
Hope this helps. You can find tech manuals, model info and lots of good stuff at www.kz400.com
Good luck

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 24 Feb 2014 15:50 by JR. Reason: spelling

More
26 Feb 2014 09:23 #623380 by longwood
Replied by longwood on topic kz440 idles fine but no throttle response
The Spark comes and goes so today I am going to clean up the contacts on the relay with some emory cloth.