Gpz 550 exhaust options

More
23 Feb 2014 18:57 #623101 by Rome24
Gpz 550 exhaust options was created by Rome24
I have a gpz 550 1982. The bike runs great for having exhaust leaks! The 4 into 1 header is toast and I am curious about replacements that won't crush my wallet. I can't seem to find anything that is a decent price. Also the previous owner busted a stud off in to head. I tried going to the parts store to find a match but nothing seems to fit properly.. Are these things you need to special order?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2014 20:28 - 23 Feb 2014 20:30 #623120 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Gpz 550 exhaust options
Would check with Z1 Enterprises for a replacement stud.
www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...asaki&item=92004-066

Failing that, would get the stud part no, from Kawasaki.com, and then google the part number.

Need any help with using kawasaki.com?
Or about removing the broken off stud from within the head?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 23 Feb 2014 20:30 by Patton.

More
23 Feb 2014 20:54 #623123 by Rome24
Replied by Rome24 on topic Gpz 550 exhaust options
Actually I have not removed the stud yet, but I'm planning on using the drill and easy out method.. I can only hope that works out alright.

Thank you for the link I am very new to finding these parts. Still figuring out the best sites to use and what not. I would really like to find an affordable 4 into 1 header for it, but it seems like they have stopped making exhaust for these old GPZs

More
24 Feb 2014 04:44 - 24 Feb 2014 04:45 #623158 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Gpz 550 exhaust options
90% chance the eazyout will snap off before the bolt nub breaks loose. Using LH drill bits is a much safer method, assuming you are skilled at keeping the bit in the center of the nub. If enough of the nub sticks out, welding on a nut to it is the preferred method. Use lots of PB Blaster (or similar) and heating the nub red hot a couple times may help as well.

Regarding exhaust systems, seems like a good many options exist on ebay.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2014 04:45 by Nessism.

More
24 Feb 2014 04:48 #623159 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Gpz 550 exhaust options

Rome24 wrote: Actually I have not removed the stud yet, but I'm planning on using the drill and easy out method.. I can only hope that works out alright.

Thank you for the link I am very new to finding these parts. Still figuring out the best sites to use and what not. I would really like to find an affordable 4 into 1 header for it, but it seems like they have stopped making exhaust for these old GPZs

Don't do it! The chances are very high you will screw up the head. Take it to a machinist and have them remove it. They will not charge very much to do this, and you won't end up with a damaged cylinder head. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
24 Feb 2014 20:10 #623236 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Gpz 550 exhaust options

Nessism wrote: ...If enough of the nub sticks out, welding on a nut to it is the preferred method....

Attachment weldnuttext.jpg not found

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
26 Feb 2014 16:45 #623433 by hoghaterkaw
Replied by hoghaterkaw on topic Gpz 550 exhaust options

650ed wrote:

Rome24 wrote: Actually I have not removed the stud yet, but I'm planning on using the drill and easy out method.. I can only hope that works out alright.

Don't do it! The chances are very high you will screw up the head. Take it to a machinist and have them remove it. They will not charge very much to do this, and you won't end up with a damaged cylinder head. Ed

Follow the above advice and save both bucks and grief. If the drilled hole is not straight or there is too much corrosion the easy out will break as you try to remove the broken stud. The machinist has the proper tools for this vintage part repair.

More
27 Feb 2014 07:27 - 27 Feb 2014 07:28 #623507 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Gpz 550 exhaust options
For do it yourself type folks, left hand drill bits work great to remove broken bolts. If you can file the nub and centerpunch the center, it will help get you started. Drill with a small bit first, then assess how well centered the hole is. Move to the next size bit and work it sideways as necessary to move the hole to the center of the bolt. Install a long bolt into an adjacent hole and watch carefully to make sure you are drilling on a parallel path. Use PB Blaster or similar as a lubricant, and consider breaking out the propane torch too to heat the nub. As you step up in drill size the walls of the old bolt will become thinner and thinner. Typically the thin shell will spin out right about the time you are reaching the max hole size. Never drill larger than the size necessary to tap the hole with new threads. Worst case, run a tap through the hole to clean up the threads, but it's unlikely you will need to.
Last edit: 27 Feb 2014 07:28 by Nessism.