Post-adjustment valve issues?

More
12 Feb 2014 10:07 #622016 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Post-adjustment valve issues?
Be sure and get a metric micrometer.such as this one: www.harborfreight.com/digital-micrometer-68305.html

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2014 13:17 #622026 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Post-adjustment valve issues?

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
12 Feb 2014 13:20 #622027 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Post-adjustment valve issues?
If you want mechanical dial calipers so you don't have to change a battery:

www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-dial-caliper-66541.html

I have a similar set I have used for many years in addition to some expensive digital calipers. I almost always grab the dial caliper since it's easy to use.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
13 Feb 2014 07:51 #622093 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Post-adjustment valve issues?
With all due respect, bountyhunter, shims are better checked with a mic vs. a caliper, as shims can vary across the surface, and it is most important to check the center of the shim rather than the overall surface. IMHO, of course.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

More
13 Feb 2014 11:13 #622111 by Dumont
Replied by Dumont on topic Post-adjustment valve issues?
I'm wondering if you accidentily moved the buckets around. As was pointed out the buckets vary in thickness so they should go back in the same place to ensure your math stays correct.

I think at this point starting over is the best bet, then be sure the same buckets get back in the same place.

Attachment KZ650shims.jpg not found

Scott

78 KZ650(Project)
09 Monster 1100s
07 Monster S2R1000 sold
97 Daytona T595 sold
95 KX250 sold
82 GPz 550 sold
87 Ninja ZX10r sold
79 KZ650csr sold
82 CR250 sold
Attachments:

More
13 Feb 2014 11:33 #622113 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Post-adjustment valve issues?
No...they don't vary if they're OEM buckets. Not generally anyway. It's aftermarket stuff you have to watch. OEM SOB buckets measure .098". I've seen Kibble whites vary from .098" to .118". The APE's measure in at .106" I put the in everything that gets a high lift cams and performance valve springs unless the customer wants Kibbles. Both are good quality buckets.

When you're setting up a valve job, ideally you want things to fall in perfectly so every valve takes the same shim or perhaps all of one size on the intake and another size on the exhaust. It just depends on what you're doing and what you have to work with.

When putting oversize valves in a head, you're sinking them. That's when those .118" thick buckets can bite you. You can end up with thin shims and that is exactly what you don't want in a racing engine. In an engine that will see severe duty with S.O.B. adjustment, you're always better off with no less than a 250 shim. 280 is even better if you can make it happen.

You can setup a head with exact installed heights on every valve and still not have every valve want the same shim when you do the final adjustment. Cam bearing wear, cam lobe wear, etc all come into play then. Actually it's always best to check lash with the head bolted to the engine it will be run on. It's just a big chunk of aluminum. It can flex when it's torqued down and give you a different valve lash reading that you got when you bench checked it....

Also, remember this. You're not holding 4 decimal places on lash adjustments. .0005" isn't going to make or break anything as long as you're up at the loose end of the lash range where you belong to start with.

Keep it Simple. Write down your lash settings. Roll the cam out of the way. Do one bucket at a time. Unless you're fishing around to see if you can swap shims from cylinder to cylinder or disassembling the head, there's no reason to take out more than one bucket at a time....

Hope that helps....this is not a difficult job. Mostly it 's a matter of taking your time and best to have a shim assortment handy :)

Larry C.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jonarmstrong

More
13 Feb 2014 12:14 #622117 by serfrock
Replied by serfrock on topic Post-adjustment valve issues?

I'm wondering if you accidentily moved the buckets around. As was pointed out the buckets vary in thickness so they should go back in the same place to ensure your math stays correct.

I only took one bucket out at a time, so I don't think bucket thickness would have entered into it. Thanks, though.

1979 KZ650 C3 (in progress)