Post-adjustment valve issues?

More
10 Feb 2014 09:26 #621755 by serfrock
Post-adjustment valve issues? was created by serfrock
Hey all,

Sorry if this has been addressed; I didn't have much luck in searching. I also apologize in advance that I don't have many specifics at the moment, but I'm at work without my notes from the weekend.

I just got done attempting my first valve adjustment on the KZ, and I'm a little confused. I measured the clearances, bought the appropriate shims to get the clearances somewhere in the middle of the (.08 - .18mm) range, and buttoned the whole thing back up. Most of my valve clearances were too tight, so I bought thinner shims to compensate.

After double-checking the clearances, a few of them are smaller than they were to begin with, a couple now as narrow as .04mm! Another few should have opened up to slightly greater than 0.15mm, but I can't get a .15mm feeler in between any of them.

I'm confident in my original measurements and that I put the right shims under the right buckets. My camshafts were bolted to the appropriate torque (albeit with not-the-greatest torque wrench from Harbor Freight), in the correct sequence, and with proper timing.

Has anyone has had the same experience? Or is there anything I can check before I start taking the camshafts out again?

Thanks!

1979 KZ650 C3 (in progress)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2014 09:51 #621760 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic Post-adjustment valve issues?
Make sure you turn the motor over by hand a couple times. If the shims aren't fully seated or there's oil under them, you might not get an accurate measurement.

Also be sure the cam lobe is pointing 180 degrees away from the valve stem when you're measuring.

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
10 Feb 2014 10:57 #621772 by serfrock
Replied by serfrock on topic Post-adjustment valve issues?
Thanks for the suggestions, Topper. Over the course of double and triple-checking the valves, I turned the engine turned over several times. Do you think that would be enough, or should I continue to turn it over for a couple minutes continuously and try again?

More
10 Feb 2014 11:23 #621778 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Post-adjustment valve issues?
Happens to me all the time that is why I do not use the shim guide, they are never correct. I measure the clearances then use the next sized shim up or down. That seems to work for me.

More
10 Feb 2014 11:47 #621783 by sbc1320
Replied by sbc1320 on topic Post-adjustment valve issues?
I never do any math when doing mine. I just check for tight or loose and go to the next appropriately sized shim in my assortment and that's it.

1980 KZ1000 LTD-B4(MK II engine) - Progressive suspension, MTC pistons, Dynojet Stage III, all wear items replaced, WFO paint scheme(1978), etc..

Past bikes- 2 1976 Kz900's, 5 1975-76 Honda CB750's, Honda 500 -4, Honda 250, Honda 125, Honda 100, Suzuki RM 250, Honda XL350, Kawasaki KLR 650, etc..

More
10 Feb 2014 12:09 #621787 by serfrock
Replied by serfrock on topic Post-adjustment valve issues?
Thanks again, guys. Unfortunately, regardless of any math I did, adjusting my shims seems to have had the opposite effect of what they should have.

It occurs to me that I re-used many of my shims, and I may not have been careful about what side was up -- is it possible that the shims were so worn that putting them back in upside-down caused my valve clearance to decrease overall?

More
10 Feb 2014 12:13 - 10 Feb 2014 12:15 #621788 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Post-adjustment valve issues?

serfrock wrote: Thanks again, guys. Unfortunately, regardless of any math I did, adjusting my shims seems to have had the opposite effect of what they should have.

It occurs to me that I re-used many of my shims, and I may not have been careful about what side was up -- is it possible that the shims were so worn that putting them back in upside-down caused my valve clearance to decrease overall?

possible if they are worn. Another thing: when checking clearances, make sure to only turn engine in normal direction, don't reverse. That can release the tension on the cam chain and let the cams rise up a bit. I have seen that change valve clearances by a couple of thousandths.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 10 Feb 2014 12:15 by bountyhunter.

More
10 Feb 2014 12:24 #621792 by sbc1320
Replied by sbc1320 on topic Post-adjustment valve issues?

serfrock wrote: Thanks again, guys. Unfortunately, regardless of any math I did, adjusting my shims seems to have had the opposite effect of what they should have.

Numbered side always goes down. If it's worn very much I chunk them in the trash.

1980 KZ1000 LTD-B4(MK II engine) - Progressive suspension, MTC pistons, Dynojet Stage III, all wear items replaced, WFO paint scheme(1978), etc..

Past bikes- 2 1976 Kz900's, 5 1975-76 Honda CB750's, Honda 500 -4, Honda 250, Honda 125, Honda 100, Suzuki RM 250, Honda XL350, Kawasaki KLR 650, etc..

More
10 Feb 2014 20:33 #621862 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Post-adjustment valve issues?

sbc1320 wrote:

Numbered side always goes down. If it's worn very much I chunk them in the trash.

If the shim is worn enough to trash it, then you probably ought to look for new cams also, I think they are both about the same hardness, so the cam is probably worn also.

Way back when, Chevy let a bunch of non hardened cams get installed in their 350's, cams didn't last very long as the lobes were worn off the cams.

KD9JUR

More
10 Feb 2014 20:51 #621867 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Post-adjustment valve issues?
Shims don't wear, it makes no difference if the number is up or down on the under bucket shims. Of course on the over bucket keep the number side down, as the cams directly rub on the shim. Still makes no difference, just so the numbers don't wear. There are really only few possibles, either error in the original checks, error in subsequent checks or the rare possibility of a shim marked wrong. Unheard of back when all shims were factory, now that that the ever popular Chinese shims are the norm, a possibility.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed, LarryC

More
11 Feb 2014 05:06 #621879 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Post-adjustment valve issues?
Stop and think this through for a minute. This is a basic procedure. If your lash measurements aren't coming out correctly then you're either doing something wrong or there is something wrong mechanically.

With whatever shims you have in the engine now..... Point the lobe directly away from the bucket so that the tip of the lobe is in line with the valve stem, pointing opposite the valve head..

Check your lash right there. Forget that silly chart altogether. Based on your lash reading, go up or down in shim size to get the lash correct. It's quicker if you have mics or calipers to measure the shim you take out and also the shim you want to use.

Doing it this way, you are 100% assured you are on the base circle of the cam, in a particular spot on the base circle where there should be no abnormal wear influencing your readings. Also, that is the position on the cam where the valve is absolutely closed [providing there is actually lash].

If you try going by the portion of the base circle that is immediately following he opening ramp of the lobe, you can run into situations where abnormal wear will yield a reading that doesn't match the reading you get using the "lobe away" method.

Larry C.

• WABBMW
  • User
  • Let The Good Times Roll !
More
11 Feb 2014 07:57 #621890 by WABBMW
Replied by WABBMW on topic Post-adjustment valve issues?
I am wondering how you determined what the shim thickness is for those shims that needed replacing. Did you use markings on the shims? Or did you measure the thickness with a micrometer? I have seen shims with the numbers so faint that the numbers were hard to read. Possibly mistaken a 3 for an 8, or some such thing? I have also seen shims with no numbers at all, so manual measurement was necessary.

One final thought, although unlikely... Is it possible that a previous owner ground some shims down thinner, on the opposite side from the numbers, so that the actual thickness is less than what is marked? This is a bad practice since the hard coating might have been ground through, but it would explain why the clearance was reduced after those shims were replaced with ones that were truly the thickness that is marked. You might measure a few of them to see if they are the thickness that is marked. Just a wild thought.

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1
1977 Honda Supersport 750 four (sold)
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 (sold)