1979 Kawasaki LTD 1000 Ignition Coil?

More
27 Jan 2014 20:18 #620310 by 80kz1000ltd
1979 Kawasaki LTD 1000 Ignition Coil? was created by 80kz1000ltd
Hello everyone again,

So I got this Kawasaki that's only running on 2 cylinders and I managed to test the spark, and it's for sure the coils. I'm gonna replace them because they no longer work (35 years old). So I am trying to look for a part number and trying to get the same ones, where do you find a part number, or better yet, which coils do I get?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2014 02:33 #620322 by ZERO
Replied by ZERO on topic 1979 Kawasaki LTD 1000 Ignition Coil?
I don't know you, so I don't know how mechanically inclined you are. So don't be offended. Remove the wires from the coil that is supplying spark and plug them onto the "dead" coil and see if it then works. If not, it's the coil. If it does work, trace the wires back to the ignition and look for cuts or pinched wiring, then check the ignition. If you do indeed have a bad coil. Emgo on Ebay hold up well and look very similar and mount the same. Z-1 enterprises also sells a nice replacement. (Also Chinese.) You could also source a used one.

Only Kawasakis have a soul 1977 Kawi KZ1000 special 2000 Kawi ZRX1100

More
28 Jan 2014 05:13 - 28 Jan 2014 05:15 #620325 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 1979 Kawasaki LTD 1000 Ignition Coil?

80kz1000ltd wrote: Hello everyone again,

So I got this Kawasaki that's only running on 2 cylinders and I managed to test the spark, and it's for sure the coils. I'm gonna replace them because they no longer work (35 years old). So I am trying to look for a part number and trying to get the same ones, where do you find a part number, or better yet, which coils do I get?

Checking for spark is fine, but a lack of spark does not indicate that you have bad coils. How much voltage do you have coming to the coils? When is the last time the points and condensers were replaced? Have you checked the kill switch? Have you checked the connectors in the ignition system? Etc., etc. There are numerous possibilities. I would highly recommend before buying replacements you use the Kawasaki Service Manual and run the diagnostics, otherwise you're just replacing parts in hope that you will by good luck correct the problem. It would be quite disappointing to buy coils and find the problem persists. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 28 Jan 2014 05:15 by 650ed.