New oil leak problem

More
13 Jan 2014 16:26 #618483 by TheDude
New oil leak problem was created by TheDude
Recently, I tuned up my KZ550. Basic maintenance, new: spark plugs, air/oi filter, coils.
Before the tuneup I noticed I had a full level of oil, almost too much.

After tuning up the bike I and placing 3 quarts of Mineral Oil Bike Master into the bike (owner's manual as my source) I realized I had a oil leak this morning. The oil level was at low and there was a small puddle. I suspect the Mineral Oil may have something to do with it, but I'm not sure.

The oil is coming from what I think is the right hand transmission head gear (the one with a Kawasaki label). It's coming right underneath the bolt on the first picture and a little above it.
I took some pictures to better show it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

[IMG

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 A3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2014 18:47 - 13 Jan 2014 18:51 #618505 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic New oil leak problem
You really need to invest in a Kawasaki Service Manual. Trying to maintain the bike by guesswork without one will cost you time, headaches, and money. The cover on the right side of your bike's engine with the work Kawasaki cast into it that you say you think is the right hand transmission head gear (whatever that is supposed to be I don't know) covers your pulsing coil. You should remove the 2 screws that hold the cover on (use a JIS screwdriver bit so the screwheads don't get chewed up worse than they already are; they are not Phillips screws) and look to see if the oil is leaking past the crankshaft seal. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 13 Jan 2014 18:51 by 650ed.

More
13 Jan 2014 19:22 #618509 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic New oil leak problem
Also possible the bolt itself is leaking. It's an oil gallery plug that has an oring, so the oring could be bad, however this is doubtful, but it's doubtful the crankshaft seal is leaking also so either is a rare possibility. Of course oil can run down and drip from an area a long way from the actual leak. Much more common leaks than that area. The 550-750 KZs are not great about being free of leaks as they use countless rubber orings, rubber is 30yrs plus old now and hard and can and will leak all over the engine.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
13 Jan 2014 23:34 #618521 by TheDude
Replied by TheDude on topic New oil leak problem

650ed wrote: The cover on the right side of your bike's engine with the work Kawasaki cast into it that you say you think is the right hand transmission head gear (whatever that is supposed to be I don't know) covers your pulsing coil.

Whoops :laugh:

I agree I should pick up a Service Manual by Kawasaki.

I'll look into both the O-rings for the screw and the crankshaft seal.
Thank you for the specific JIS screwdriver as well.

On a bike of this age, should I look to replace many of the O-rings and seals?

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 A3

More
14 Jan 2014 04:37 #618528 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic New oil leak problem
Just in case you're not familiar with the JIS screwdriver bits you may want to look at this link. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/21-tools/532335-budget...ewdriver-tips#532335

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
15 Jan 2014 11:02 #618717 by TheDude
Replied by TheDude on topic New oil leak problem

650ed wrote: Just in case you're not familiar with the JIS screwdriver bits you may want to look at this link. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/21-tools/532335-budget...ewdriver-tips#532335

Thanks that was helpful.

I realized I put the spring on the opposite end for the oil filter. Maybe that caused the other oil leak. I'm not sure.. I bought new rings and seals and will replace them when they come in.

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 A3