Compression question PEASE HELP: KZ1000 E 1980

• Flatblackobsession
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Jan 2014 11:05 #617930 by Flatblackobsession
Replied by Flatblackobsession on topic Compression question PEASE HELP: KZ1000 E 1980
I appreciate that. I think this sounds like a good approach-- get in there and improve valve function, then start collecting parts/tools for the day the top end gets torn down and rebuilt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2014 14:04 #617966 by ZERO
Obsession. What is your location? I for one wouldn't mind helping you out.

Only Kawasakis have a soul 1977 Kawi KZ1000 special 2000 Kawi ZRX1100

More
09 Jan 2014 14:24 - 09 Jan 2014 14:25 #617970 by 650ed

Flatblackobsession wrote: Nesim,
Thanks very much-- I really appreciate the thoughts.

........I keep wondering if the uniform 20 psi increase across all cylinders wouldn't just be cause by the fact that there is oil in the cylinder (like displacement caused by the oil itself). ........

I've often wondered about that myself. Given the fact that at TDC there is very little volume above the piston it seems that adding any oil, for example -let's say a tablespoon, would naturally decrease the volume of air and result in a higher compression reading. Kind of like the effect of a piston with a higher dome. It seems that even in a perfect engine this would happen. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 09 Jan 2014 14:25 by 650ed.

• Flatblackobsession
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Jan 2014 14:24 #617971 by Flatblackobsession
Replied by Flatblackobsession on topic Compression question PEASE HELP: KZ1000 E 1980
I'm in southeast Arizona, I'd be happy to have some more experienced help on this.

• Flatblackobsession
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Jan 2014 14:31 #617972 by Flatblackobsession
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationAnyone know what tool (if any) I'd need for shim work on this bike (Kz1000e shaft)? Also, what shim sizes might I be looking at with this?

If a tool is needed, is this the animal I'll need:

Anyone ever use one of these before?

• Flatblackobsession
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Jan 2014 14:51 #617973 by Flatblackobsession
Right-- very baffling. So, the question would then be: how much of a compression increase (i.e. "drastic" compression increase) indicates oil action on the rings, as opposed to displacement? A hell of a mystery.

I also put a little more than a teaspoon in there-- maybe 15-20 milliliters, but it was the same amount in each cylinder, so it makes me wonder if that isn't why there was this uniform psi increase-- regardless of base cylinder readings.

Any and all thoughts on experiences/theories are appreciated. I really want to get to the bottom of this.
Thanks,

More
09 Jan 2014 15:07 #617975 by 650ed

Flatblackobsession wrote: Right-- very baffling. So, the question would then be: how much of a compression increase (i.e. "drastic" compression increase) indicates oil action on the rings, as opposed to displacement? A hell of a mystery.

I also put a little more than a teaspoon in there-- maybe 15-20 milliliters, but it was the same amount in each cylinder, so it makes me wonder if that isn't why there was this uniform psi increase-- regardless of base cylinder readings.

Any and all thoughts on experiences/theories are appreciated. I really want to get to the bottom of this.
Thanks,

That seems very logical to me. I would think that if all the rings are holding compression well, the same volume of oil added to each cylinder should result in the same increase in compression readings. I would try a leak-down test to see if you can detect compression leaking from the exhaust or intake valves, or if it's leaking past the rings into the crankcase. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Flatblackobsession
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Jan 2014 19:30 #618034 by Flatblackobsession
650ed,
Thanks-- a leakdown test seems like a great idea.

More
09 Jan 2014 19:57 #618038 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Compression question PEASE HELP: KZ1000 E 1980
You need to adjust the valves prior to performing a leak down test.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

• Flatblackobsession
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Jan 2014 21:35 #618051 by Flatblackobsession
Indeed-- all roads seem to lead to valves. Thanks.

More
09 Jan 2014 23:16 #618053 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Compression question PEASE HELP: KZ1000 E 1980
Absolutely. If the clearances are too tight, the valves will not close completely and all readings will be off, performance down, etc.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

More
10 Jan 2014 02:04 #618064 by ZERO
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

Flatblackobsession wrote: Anyone know what tool (if any) I'd need for shim work on this bike (Kz1000e shaft)? Also, what shim sizes might I be looking at with this?

If a tool is needed, is this the animal I'll need:

Anyone ever use one of these before?

These work O.K. in a pinch. However there is a Kawasaki tool that is much more precise. You wont know what shims you'll need until you get yours out. You'll have to = or- according to your readings. Measure your gap. then ad the size to the next, larger shim. If you encounter a shim that it over tight. Install one two sizes smaller and then re check. It's not hard, but you need a selection of shims, a good quality shim tool, a strong stick magnet and a small pointy screwdriver. Even with experience, the K&L type tools will shoot across the room...crack shims...spit out shims...But, if you wont be doing this job often, maybe the low price would make it worth while. I wish I were closer.

Only Kawasakis have a soul 1977 Kawi KZ1000 special 2000 Kawi ZRX1100