Valve stem measurement

• Z1Driver
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
07 Jan 2014 13:49 #617660 by Z1Driver
Valve stem measurement was created by Z1Driver
A while back I ordered some new intake valves for my 75 Z1B.

There are twp types of valve stem groove and keepers the early style and the late style. The early style has one large groove at the end of the stem. I have a first addition Kawasaki repair manual for the Z1 and it shows what the valve stem measurement should be from the keeper groove.

It appears when I ordered the valves, I got the late style and need to know what the measurement is on the multi groove valve stem. Thanks in advance. Tim

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2014 14:30 - 07 Jan 2014 14:40 #617665 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Valve stem measurement
Both types of Z1/Z900/1000 valves have only ONE keeper groove , NON have a multi groove.
The early grooves are a squared profile and the later are rounded.
Either type of valve is the same length (unless you had been wrongly supplied with the 'J ' type which are shorter but these can be identified by having larger heads also but still single groove ) and you just need the matching valve collets to fit them.
All other measurements for tip grinding etc are the same.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 07 Jan 2014 14:40 by zed1015.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 531blackbanshee, Z1Driver

• Z1Driver
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
07 Jan 2014 16:20 #617671 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic Valve stem measurement
Ok Thanks. It's hard to tell since I have the Kawasaki Manual for an early Z1 and A Clymers which doesn't give you any thing but covers more bikes. I assumed since the keepers are different it would be multi grooved but thinking about it you are right just a little different single groove shape. I will take the information and the head back to the machine shop in the morning. Tim

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14